1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp and pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jefflam79, May 21, 2011.

1. jefflam79

jefflam79

Apr 13, 2007
    I just acquired a new carvin bass with no electronics or pickups. It was originally set up for the active 9V system with 2 j style pickups and the module with Volume, Blend, Bass, Mid, and Trebble EQ (5 Pots).

I'm looking for options on what I can use to put in there. Im looking for a smooth warm agressive tone (modern style i guess). I'm looking for a deep rich full low end with clarity, not so much a punchy jazzy Jaco tone.

I could just go with the original carvin module

Carvin Module

but it seems like the older active module and electronics of carvin is not favored as much around here.

it would be nice to get a full function eq with a mid sweep also if I can find a good one.

I can also route the pickup cavities to use soapbars if I need to (which I am leaning toward to get the tone im seeking but would rather not if I can find a smooth J that sounds like a soap)

So what do you guys think?