1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp final decision

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by malpasso, Jun 9, 2007.

1. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    Time's up fo rme to make a decision about my new preamp. Pickup to go with it : Rev Solo II. Amp: Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II
    The shortlisted candidates are:
    • Fishman Pro EQ bass Platinum: 220 Eur. + : Classic reliable solution. - : "Old product"
    • Lr Baggs Para DI: 225 Eur: + :Class A Preamp, acclaimed circuitry, sweepable EQ. - : Designed for guitar.
    • Presonus AcoustiQ: 320 Eur. +: Tube. - : Discontinued.(Still I've found one on a shop online).
    • D-Tar Equinox: 320 Eur: + : Very flexible EQ.- : Only 1MOhm input. Designed for guitar.

Thanks for your votes!:confused:

2. I've not really used any of these, but based on the features and number of positive reviews here, I would put the Fishman at the top of the list. I've always been curious about the D-Tar, but no body seems to have one.

3. For those you mention I'd prefer the Fishman Pro EQ bass Platinum. I bought one before a month (slightly used from a TB member), and I found it very good and easy to deal with. The EQ has lots of possibilities and designed with having DB in mind.

I tried once the Lr Baggs Para DI, but I found the sound very "dry". This is because of an internal circuit that filtre and cuts some of the bass freequences. I sold it to a guitar player. It's a great preamp for guitars, sitar, bouzouki etc..
    I most of times use the Lr Baggs GigPro (with R.Solo pickup). I like it a lot, but this unit doesn't have a DI output if you are interested.
    I have not ever tried the last 2 in your list.

4. Bodin

Bodin

Mar 1, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have the LR Baggs Para DI, and my biggest complaint about it is that it eats through batteries and has no option for an AC adapter. I've never compared it with another preamp so I can't give a good sonic critique. But just the lack of AC adapter is making me think of getting something else to replace it with.

5. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    Thanks, folks!
    I couldn't defer my decision anymore, so I finally decided on the Fishman.
    Thanx for your help
    Keep it low!!!
    :cool:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021