Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rambob, May 15, 2005.

1. rambob

rambob

Mar 28, 2005
    I play in a thrash metal band. Im looking for a preamp for my rig. I love the sound frank bello gets in the early anthrax albums, i also love the bass tone that dave ellefson and exodus get. What would be the best preamp for this situation.

Thanks alot,
    Rob

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    play as many as you can, preferably at the same time so you can a/b them. then get the one you like the best regardless of who else uses what.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Not familiar with the players you mentioned, but either Ampeg SVP-Pro or SVP-CL depending on whether you want OD or clean.

I think these get the best Metal sound, but the rest of your system will also influence your final tone.

5. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Sansamp Programmable BDDI with a Gallien-Krueger Pre-Amp.

Want some warmth? Preset one on Sansamp. Want a slight hint of warmth? Preset two. Want just some extra bass? Preset three. Want to cut through the mix like a knife? Turn it off.

I get by with just a Sansamp and Gallien-Krueger amp, though. I go from warm fingerstyle to transparent to slappy to aggressive fingerstyle with just my fingers and turning the Sansamp on/off.