1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

precision fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vegeta, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Vegeta

Vegeta

Jun 28, 2004
    Skopje, Macedonia
    I have a precision bass, some cheap copy or something, and recently I bought a new guitar so I was thinking to convert the old guitar to fretless, but I don't know if it will sound good, is the P pickup good for a fretless or not?

2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i converted my squire p to a fretless, and im definitely glad i did. it has a nice warm tone. only problem is i cant get the action low enough without buzzing/rattling. :spit:

3. It would lose it's precision... :D

Seriously, I think it'd sound good.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    fretless Ps sound unique. it wont sound like all other fretlesses. Itll have a warm tone, perhaps with a little less muah than other fretlesses, but a fuller tone.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got one, and its a lot different than any other kind of fretless. The typical Jaco like tone associated with fretless basses is not there at all, but I don't think you expected it to be.

Its very very thumpy, and depending on your strings, its almost impossible to not over power everyone else you're playing with. I did have some flats one it, and it just murdered everyone else with thump. I had to turn down the bass eq on my amp almost all of the way. Granted, I am playing through a lone 15".

Now I've got some roundwounds on it, and its much more compatible with everyone else. Its got your classic P-tone, with more warmth to it... at least with a rosewood board it does.

I think John Paul Jones recorded "In My Time Of Dying" with a fretless P bass, and if he didn't... then he played one live on Led Zeppelin's live DVD.

6. It's a pretty good idea. I didn't like the buzz of my Squier, and it sounded very harsh with the tone up and dead with the tone cut. So, I took out the frets, and now it's a pretty playable and decent sounding bass.

Fretless P's sound thumpier and woodier than J's, especially with rounds. Fatter tone, definitely.

7. Ok. So it's an Imprecision? :)