precision fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vegeta, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Vegeta

Jun 28, 2004
    Skopje, Macedonia
    I have a precision bass, some cheap copy or something, and recently I bought a new guitar so I was thinking to convert the old guitar to fretless, but I don't know if it will sound good, is the P pickup good for a fretless or not?
  2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    i converted my squire p to a fretless, and im definitely glad i did. it has a nice warm tone. only problem is i cant get the action low enough without buzzing/rattling. :spit:
  3. It would lose it's precision... :D

Seriously, I think it'd sound good.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    fretless Ps sound unique. it wont sound like all other fretlesses. Itll have a warm tone, perhaps with a little less muah than other fretlesses, but a fuller tone.
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got one, and its a lot different than any other kind of fretless. The typical Jaco like tone associated with fretless basses is not there at all, but I don't think you expected it to be.

Its very very thumpy, and depending on your strings, its almost impossible to not over power everyone else you're playing with. I did have some flats one it, and it just murdered everyone else with thump. I had to turn down the bass eq on my amp almost all of the way. Granted, I am playing through a lone 15".

Now I've got some roundwounds on it, and its much more compatible with everyone else. Its got your classic P-tone, with more warmth to it... at least with a rosewood board it does.

I think John Paul Jones recorded "In My Time Of Dying" with a fretless P bass, and if he didn't... then he played one live on Led Zeppelin's live DVD.
  6. It's a pretty good idea. I didn't like the buzz of my Squier, and it sounded very harsh with the tone up and dead with the tone cut. So, I took out the frets, and now it's a pretty playable and decent sounding bass.

Fretless P's sound thumpier and woodier than J's, especially with rounds. Fatter tone, definitely.
  7. Ok. So it's an Imprecision? :)