Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preferred Strings for Magnetic Pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LarryR, Jul 30, 2004.

1. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Dearest URB Mavens,

I broke down and committed a blasphemous act of pure self-indulgence. I just installed my new magnetic pickup (biesele). Yes, yes, I now have the sound of a 20' P-Bass. So noone writes me off completely, I'm working on dialing in a piezo or mic to have both "worlds" workin' for me.

Upshot? There'll be no more problems hearing Larry. I can't wait to stare down my drummer and guitarist, taunting them to turn up their volume so I may do the same, possibly changing their DNA permanently. :)

I digress...

Right now, I'm playing on Spiro Weich's. I like them, but, I loved Obligato's. I've read that Obligato's don't do well with Magnetic PU's. Can I get some opinions from folks who dig a Gut-like feel but are using magnets?

Thank you all in advance,

Larry

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Synthetic core strings have little ferrous content, thus not much material for a magnetic pickup.
    The most gut-like steel string I know is the Jargar, which is all steel.
    Expect a very warm, even dark, thumpy tone with fast decay, and no or very little growl.
    Available in three gauges.

P.S. No, I'm not working for Jargar, and they're not giving me anything for plugging them, which I've done several times lately...

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    On one of my basses I have a string charger blended with a full circle, though I rarely use much if any of the string charger sound anymore.

I have eurosonic ultralights on that bass which pickup fine through a mag pu. They have a synthetic wrap and enough steel in the core to work.

I think they give you more of gut type feel/sound than a steel wrapped string.

kevinlee

4. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Kevin and Francois,

Thank you both for responding. I think I'll try the Eurosonics Kevin. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

L

5. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Yea I think you'll like the eurosonics. Alot of the rockabilly guys are using them and the gut sound is generally what they like.

I did use the jargars for a while (on Francois recomondation) and for an all steel string they are a good choice as well. I think the eurosonics are a bit more lively but still have a rather warm dark sound after a short break in period. They are easier on the fingers as well if your doing any slapping.

6. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Kevinlee,

Can you give me any additional feedback on the Euro's re: style and gauge? I've read the threads to find Rockabilly guy's are digging this string, but, what abot Jazzers? I don't slap at all. I primarily play Jazz (hardbop,standards etc.) but also Swing and R&B. Ultra's or lights??

I was surprised to see the Ultra's have similar gauge to my P-Bass' Thomastik Flats:
    E = 2.64mm (.104")
    A = 1.95mm (.077")
    D = 1.52mm (.060")
    G = 1.16mm (.046")

Thanks man,

Larry

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    If I may butt in here...

There's at least a couple of jazzers that hang 'round here that like Euros... Maybe they'll chime in. Euro Ultra Lights are my preferred string at the moment. I do slap, but I really enjoy the tone for jazz pizz as well. They offer that gut-like boom, but have more sustain and are more articulate (vs. plain gut, at least) -- and they have that buttery soft gut feel. If it's a modern, steel-string jazz tone you're going for, these probably aren't right for you; but if you were fond of the darker, warmer Obligatos, I think you'll like them.

Of the gauge choices, Ultra-Lights are the way to go, for several reasons -- First, they are the closest in gauge to steels, meaning there's less chance you'll need to modify your nut/bridge slots. Second, and most importantly, Eurosonic mildy warmed over their production process to make certain that the Ultra Lights would display NO loss of volume as compared to the heavier gauges, and they succeeded. In fact, my Ultra Light E has more volume than the Light E it replaced. Lastly, I've found all Eurosonic strings to be very stable, very durable, and they don't die the moment you remove tension for bass adjustments, etc. Great strings, IMO.

8. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Brad, thanks again Team!
    I'll give 'em a shot. Had a credit at Lemur, so, they're on their way. I'll report back...

9. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Not a problem, Laney :D

10. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Brian,

We're cool right? ;)