1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pretty cool story (Happy ending)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Mar 28, 2009.

1. So, I'll just fill you guys in here..

I'm 15, and my dad and I don't talk that much (he works REALLY far away). And he was back from work for the weekend, and he also lives pretty far away, so I didn't even imagine seeing him while he was down.

There was a bass in the local music shop that my mom knew I really wanted, and I was saving money for. It was a Classic '60s Jazz.

We had a gig tonight, it was pretty close by, and when I was finished setting up, and we did a sound check, I'm just kind of standing around, waiting for this thing to start, and then, out of the blue, my dad walks up beside me, with a gigbag in hand.. Sure enough, I opened it, and it was in there. :bassist:

After thanking him many a time, I went over, plugged it in, played it.. It sounded amazing.

I don't really know what I expect you guys to say, lol.. But I just wanted to get this out, I'm so happy :)

Picture.. (More will come later, I'm tired..)

[​IMG]

2. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Your parents are awesome

3. Beautiful bass, man. Be good to her.

And what awesome parents you have.

4. That's truly awesome.

5. Did you use it for the entire gig? Enjoy!

6. Awsome man... its a great story..and that p-bass is amazing too... where do you get a pick gaurd like that?

7. Actually, no :(.. I didn't get to use it at all.. The only strap I had was all stretched out from having the straplocks on it, and I didn't want to take the chance of it falling

[​IMG]

I got it from a fellow here on TB, who got it from AllParts

8. thank you..... really nice p-bass... im gonna try to make mine all black:bassist:

9. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    That's the kind of dad I'm going to be.

10. I'm sure your kid(s) love you anyways :bassist:

11. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    not the kind of happy ending I was expecting, but the bass is sweet anyway.
    congrats!

12. Also.. I read on here, and around, that the tuners were "backwards".. I thought that it meant the base of them were attached in a backwards way..

When I got home with this bass, I was going into drop D, and I noticed that the tuners were extremely stiff.. Little did I know, I was tuning up :eek:

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That's awesome. Kudos to your dad, and to you for appreciating it.
    And congrats on the great new bass.

14. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    I am the same age, and I can't get a damn gig let alone gig with fenders so I have to say I'm jealous of you, Bass Master.

15. this is the happiest thread i've ever been on :D
    and,very great story man.that is a very awsome thing that happend

16. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I know how this can feel. My dad has lived in another state since I was sixteen and I only see him twice a year or so. Treasure that bass, kid.

17. That really sucks. Don't worry though, I will :D

Don't worry, it will come with time :).. That P-Bass in the picture above is a Squier :D, and did it ever serve me well for over a year..
    This Jazz is the first Fender I've actually owned. (It says in my Profile that I have a MIJ Fender '75 RI Jazz.. it's not actually mine, it's a friends that I used to borrow frequently)

18. [​IMG]

I'll get some better pictures up eventually.. But it's currently at the music shop.. Getting them to give it a basic setup (they didn't do it when it was purchased)

P.S. It looks like Pearl, but it's tortoise

19. Very cool story to hear about! My Dad did something similar when I was 16: I was trying out with friends for my High School's Battle of the Bands still with my first "starter" bass when mine surprised me with an Ibanez SR-800 for the tryouts. That bass then became my main bass for my Original Band days, club gigs aplenty, a few hundred hours of demo and EP recording, and then a defretting so I could add fretless to my "toolbox" once I had moved beyond that bass' tone.

I think I have a different relationship with mine than you have with yours, but I'm also pretty sure I know how you're feeling right now. Bask in it... :D

20. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Wish my parents were that awesome. They wouldn't even spring for a $ 300-let alone $ 500-bass becuase i already had a "perfectly good less than $ 200 bass." Annoying musically-ignorant parents. :scowl: (I hope my folks don't see this post) :D