1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Primus-My Name Is Mud

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by honda29, Mar 25, 2009.

1. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    how do you get that sound? its like weird but sweet, like only the impact of the strings comes through, no actual bass. i have the digitech BP200 so if anyone has suggestions for that fire away. thanks!

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    It's called a ghost note, works with slap (thump in this case.) too, not just finger or pick style. He just basically did a combo of his thumb on his right and tapped the fingerboard on his left.

3. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    yes, im very familiar with ghost notes, but its still a different sound i think.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yup, percussive ,isn't it? That low B is awesome.

I think he also implemented the same, in parts of lacquerhead, although more distorted.

5. honda29

honda29

Feb 6, 2009
    very

yeah, that man is amazing haha.

6. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    The only way I've ever gotten that sound was tuning a 1.05 E string dow to B or rediculously low action on a 5 string... The key is that you hear the flop of the string twice.

If I ever had to do it live I would play a 5er and ghost it

7. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    I "Think" he does this, though I could be wrong. but the way I play that part is to have my arm(bicep~) mute the strings near the bridge and slap/tap the strings as one would normally. have to wear the bass rather high to do this obviously.

8. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Six foot two and rude as !$#@
    I got to get him in the ground before he starts to smell
    My name is mud

9. Caksi

Caksi

Nov 28, 2008

10. It's muted Thumping.

11. orbit2021

orbit2021

Mar 12, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    yeah this ^^^ plus having i think the low b detuned, and remember this is played on the rainbow bass, so its just got a great sound because of the scale length and i would say, the unique properties that his basses have, basically. i have the fortune to own an amazing CT bass and it becomes much clearer where alot of the tones les gets comes from...undoubtedly he is very good at dialing his tones altogether, brown album i think is the most impressive for straight up BADASS tone...but i think that album is produced so well, its like the greatest "garage recording" in terms of how it sounds...!!!

anyways in summation i think technique only gets you so far, and if you're anal enough about tone like i am, then you'll always be left frustrated trying to "master" the things claypool does...

edit: after seeing the link, that shows where hes muting with his bicep.

12. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Fretless muted thump