Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pro tools and the echo layla.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nickname, Aug 29, 2005.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    im trying to run protools but it wont run unless it detects digidesign hardware. anyone know how to make it acknowledge the layla 20, or just to even get passed that part

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Which version of Pro Tools is it? Some versions just plain will not run without Digi's hardware available.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Not gonna happen, unless you have Pro Tools Free. Thats how Digi does things. Either get a legit copy of Pro Tools by buying their hardware or find a different program to run in conjunction with your Layla, like Cubase.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I was going to make a derogatory comment about Digidedesign...but I'm holdin' back :p

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    No, please, don't hold back. What some people call "derogatory," others, such as my self, who have experience with Digidesign's products, customer support, and sales staff, would simply call, "truth." :)

Seriously, though, apparently the new product lines are failing, and a large segment of Digi's marketing and management have been given ye old pink slip. A friend of mine was invited to reapply for a position in the marketing department. Maybe things will change for the better.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    you will never be able to run the layla with pro tools, good try though. Id be curious to see what u guys have to say about pro tools. im a professional engineer and that is def the industry standard. If you think it sucks its probably because you cannot use it correctly, its alot of power.

7. There is a version of Pro Tools that doesn't need Pro Tools hardware called M-Powered. It runs on M-Audio hardware, and I suspect one day it might run on other hardware if someone finds a way....

Pro Tools may be a standard, but there are lots of other worthwhile recording programs that are comparable, and better in many ways, like Sequoia, Nuendo, Sonar, Logic, etc....

NS10s are a standard too, and they suck.

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

Pro Tools is overpriced, plain and simple. They're no longer the only game in town, and other DAW software/hardware combos are becoming more and more popular. I use Pro Tools at Alameda Digital Recording, the first west coast studio to go all-digital in 1981, and I know very well how to use the HD system, although we don't have an ICON or other control surface aside from a Mackie which we never use. Plenty of engineers I've met aren't thrilled with Pro Tools, especially since some of them are still making payments on systems that won't do 24bit/192khz conversion.

I don't like it because Digi's convertors have a particular sound that grates on my nerves, and because the interface gets cluttered and confusing, even when performing the most basic of operations. For the price, much better systems are available these days, with better workflow enhancements, and greater integration with the outside world.

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Amen.