Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pro tools on second computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by g04t, May 3, 2005.

1. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    It's dumb**** question time! :hyper:

I currently have a computer in our recording space with a digi 01 and pro tools. I am currently building a second computer for mixing from home. What do you guys suggest I add on to this mixing computer? I am already well versed in Pro Tools, but find it complete trash that I would have to buy another piece of DD's hardware in order to mix at home.

Moving the 001 from the studio is not an option.
    I realize that PT is proprietary but there are ways around this. I am also wondering how much of the audio processing depends on the hardware itself.

I have a 200 gig hot swappable drive that I am going to take between the studio and home. I have thought about importing the PT audio files into new tracks on different software, but I am unsure of the compatibility.

Basically, what do you guys/girls/goats recommend?

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Unless you really need to use outboard equipment with your PT sessions you could easily get by with an MBOX. Processing has nothing to do with the hardware, it is simply an interface. If you need to do lots of processing with PT LE it is all host based. However TC makes the Powercore which kick ass. Lots of horsepower and no taxing the CPU.

3. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Cool thanks Droog.

No outboard hardware is used in mixing, just for recording demos.