Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pro tools vs direct into the board

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 14, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    how many people just record into a board and then mix down that way VS how many people use the pro tools and what not? im looking into it all and im thinking that the computer stuff is really sweet, but i sort of feel like teh 'old school' method is better. anyway, thanks for all opinions and info.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Lots of different techniques; One is to have an all analog front end, get the best sounds going into Pro Tools (high as rez as possible). Edit and clean up then mix down through a nice analog board.

Also a lot of folks will record analog (2" or whatever) then dump that into Pro Tools and mix from there. I think that is what I would like to do with my band when the time comes. I like working with analog, its a different vibe you know? Sounds killer too.

Though more and more stuff is being done all digital. Trent Reznor is not using tape anymore, not to mention countless others.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, the vast majority of my stuff has been "straight through the board", and I advocate that method as a starting point.

However, lately I've been experimenting with a big stack of Bag End speakers, and those things generate sounds that I couldn't get in a million years "straight through".

If you want a sound clip, drop me a PM. :)

Lately I've been enamorated with the idea of mics, and preamps. I use several interesting mics, among them a Pearl PML-EC-73, and an AKG C-61. The speakers do something to the sound, that the mics will capture, but the board won't.

And, the preamps are the same way. I have a whole arsenal of great vintage pre's, including Neve's, and API's, and so on. My latest discovery is a Urei 1108. That's an absolutely killer bass pre. :)

As far as the ProTools, I look at that exactly like an ADAT. I'd never go "directly" into an ADAT, just as I'd never go "directly" into ProTools. The front end is crucial.

At least that's been my experience so far. :)

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    see i was thinking of doing it this way. my meaning of direct was the mic'ing thing. i was thinking mic'ing teh gear and then running into the board and doing all the mixing and what not after that. is that possible or no? hopefully soon ill start taking some enginnering classes. in teh meantime its just reading books abotu building and operting your home studio.

thanks.

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Well you have to have a medium to record onto, which is what the board is connected to. One option would be to go out of the board into protools or you could go out of the board onto ADAT or to tape. Then you could also go out of the board into a nice analog preamp and then into protools. :) All kinds of options and techniques.

Personally I go straight into Cubase SX through my soundcard. I live in an apartment so my options are pretty limited. It would be great to have a nicer soundcard and a sweet preamp though.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm an all digital guy: J-Station to MOTO 828MkII to G5 with Logic 6. I've never been comfortable working totally analog, I guess I need something to stare at while mixing or something...

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so i could go from teh board and into a adat? it sounds easy, however, what do i do when ive got the adat complete?

and nowadays, arent most enngineers running through a board and into protools (or something digital) and the popping out the product?