Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem keeping bass in place while standing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Trist6075, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    After switching to one of my other basses after a while of not using it I have discovered that it is really hard to keep the bass itself in the right position while I am standing up. I have the bass at a comfortable position but it seems that if I am not pressing down on the bass with my right arm the neck swings completely down sideways making it impossible to play. And when i continue to apply some pressure to the bass with my right hand it creats a bend in my right wrist that causes a bit of pain after awhile. So I guess this is kind of a RH technique question as well. I feel like I shouldn't have to support the bass with either hand is this right. What am i doing wrong? Could it be that it is too heavy in the neck. It is an old Gibson "Grabber" Bass from the 70's with a fat neck.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

2. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Well, it sure sounds as if your neck/headstock is a bit heavy... While wearing the bass it should stay in a comfortable position, with the neck and headstock pointing slightly upwards, even if your arms are behind your back. Are you sure that you've adjusted the strap in a correct manner?

3. I take it that by "pressure," you mean that your right forearm is pushing against the body, pulling the bridge end of the bass in tighter against your body?

If this is the case, then stop doing that. It sounds like you're far too tense when you're playing.
    Do you use a pick or do you play fingerstyle?
    Both?
    Try turning the volume up and playing with a lighter touch, that may help. Assuming I understood what you said correctly.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This sounds like a classic case of "neck dive" - do a search on "Neck Dive" - this has been discussed before and people have made suggestions to help with this.

My personal point of view is that I wouldn't buy a bass that was this unbalanced!! ;)

5. I'd say you have three options. You can weight the lower strap button to balance it, move the upper button to the other side of the neck, or deal with it.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Huzzuh! You are correct. :cool:

7. Shaun

Shaun

Jun 24, 2004
    My bass [P-bass clone] dives at the neck, but it's not an issue if I just hold it with my left hand. It doesn't seem to be enough weight to tire my arm, at any rate.

8. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    k thanks guys ill try some of that stuff

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    My first bass was neck-heavy. I sold it. ;)

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You could also buy a strap that clings a bit better instead of sliding so easily.

11. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd buy a bass that is balanced. Lots out there too.