Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem w/ Ampeg BA115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by srxplayer, Dec 19, 2004.

1. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    My wife got me one of these for my birthday yesterday. I pluged it in and it noticed that there is a lot of noise generated by this amp by the tweeter at zero volume. There is a lot of hiss comming from this thing. I turned down the gain, highs, and messed around with the EQ settings to get it to go away. It's really annoying. I know tweeters can do this but I have never heard one this bad.

I love the tone that these little combos produce and want to use it for jam sessions, practice and recording but I'm concerned about the noise. I never noticed the hiss on other BA115's that I have played but today I went to GC and played one and noticed the hiss this time. It doesn't seem as bad as mine but GC is a "mad house" right now so I couldn't tell how bad it was.

Is this normal on these little ampegs? Or did I just get a bad one.

I don't have this problem on my SWR Workingman 15 and even my cheap little Ibanez SW65 unless the volume is turned 1/2 way up..

Any insite would be appreciated.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

don't know about the Ampeg in particular but it's pretty typical for combo's to generate hiss with the tweeter on or high frequencies boosted. Not a problem when playing with a band but probably an issue with recording. There's been some good TB threads on tweeters and replacement options.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I had one of those, outstanding little amp with great sound but it did hiss an awful lot if I turned the highs above 5. Keeps the highs low, hehehe, the mids around 6 or 7 and the bass at about 8 and it'll sound excellent. Nice and thick, warm and round. Good amp.

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Thanks. I will try that.

5. You may have one w/ an issue. I have a BA-115 and I've never had a hiss problem at all. If you got it at Guitar Center my experience is they are great about returns. I'd pick a slow time like right when they open and take yours in and compare it to any others in stock. You'll know then. Excellent little amp by the way!
    R

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I decided on taking it back to exchange it. Unfortunately they did not have another one in the box.

They were very cool about the return. They are ordering me another one and I should see it in a few days.

7. When I had one it hissed like a mother. I ended up pulling out one of the port tubes and disconnecting the leads from the tweeter. Got rid of the hiss and it still sounded great!

8. I had purchased one, a year and change ago, and experienced the same consistant hisssssss.
    There was no way of getting rid of it, besides disconnecting the tweeter.
    So, I wound up returning it.

Andrew
    :meh:

9. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I have one, mine will hiss if the highs are set above mid point but below that setting it's totally quiet.

10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I had two and they both did the same thing.

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I can deal with a little hiss. I know that is what tweeters do but this thing had other problems too so I took it back.

Speaker sounded horrible. Started distorting at low volume levels on the open E and it started cutting out. I must have got one built on Friday afternoon or a Monday morning. It happens so I'm not sweating it.

Funny thing is my cheapo Ibanez SW65 hardly hisses at all unless it it turned way up and my SWR does it just past 1/2 way.

The info is really appreciated though, and any other info or experiences that fellow TB'ers have on using this amp is welcome.

12. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    I had a BA-115, and it hissed too. That annoyed me. I did some research (but too late!), and also checked some other of the same model at GC, and they all do that, like you can also see here. It seems that people either 'forget' about this, or don't like their amp, but the noise is always there.

I sold it after a few months.

I contacted Ampeg via E-mail, but never got any response. That pretty much discourage me of buying any of their product now.

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Sorry to hear that......inquiries are supposed to get answered quickly.

You mentioned you "emailed Ampeg"?

Did you email at the info email address on the website, or elsewhere?

I understand there were some problems with the website email for a while, but I think they have been all sorted out now. You may have gotten caught in that.

If you emailed to me via the board, I don't recall it.

14. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    Thanks for your response Jerrold, I appreciate that.

To be honest, I don't remember how I emailed Ampeg/you, that was between one year and 18 months ago. I remember at the time, I checked on the forum you have on your web site about this hissing noise mentioned in this thread, and this is when I decided to contact you.

Thanks again.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sometimes my BA115SP hisses, but is usually turns out to be a setting or something. Maybe I've got the effects level jacked up WAY too high or something. Aside from the Volume, check the LEVEL setting...

I generally keep both Volume AND Level set around 5, & generally don't get any hiss.

16. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Well I only started posting about a year ago, so it was probably via the website. Your time-frame could have been during the problems.

But, If I don't know the answer, I'll find out. Ask.

17. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Can you tell what Ampeg's response is to the complaints about the BA115's hiss? Have they fixed it, plan to fix it ect? I think they would be a great seller other than that. Besides myself, two other people also returned BA115's at my local shop. I am sure that corners need to be cut to keep the prices down, but could they cut another corner?

18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Well, there is a model with a tweeter attenuator. Obviously that allows control of the tweeter. With tweeters and wider bandwidth comes the potential for more noise. So it is a result of an added feature, not so much of cutting corners......

I have bugged people about the noise, but there probably would not be a "mod", or "fix". I understand that is more likely something that would happen at the same time as a full update of the unit to a revised model at some point.

19. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I have found many uses for mine. I suggest that anyone that has one of these, turn down the highs until the hiss is gone and that's your max setting.

If I had any input on a redesign it would be to add some handles. And find some way to stop it from rolling when I hit the brakes.