1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems Connecting New "GK 800RB"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konan888, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Howdy,

I just picked up a GK 800RB. The manual is extremely vague!
    I have a Ampeg SVT 210 HE Cab. and a Traynor TC115 Cab.
    Both cabs have two 1/4" jacks and two speakon jacks. The GK head has a 1/4" speaker.hi out, 100w, 8ohm min. and two 1/4" speaker.lo out, 300w, 4ohm total, 8 ohm min.

I cannot figure out how to make the connections. I am playing reggae and have the attenuator on my ampeg off.

Can you please offer soma advice?

2. bluesrx

bluesrx Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    What is the impedence of the 2 cabs

3. As long as both cabs are 8 Ohms, you can plug them both into the "Lo" out, resulting in a 4 Ohm net impedance. Don't engage the front panel crossover button.

4. The impedance of the cabs is very important! You can run either amp without the other but the "high amp" (100 watt)can only drive a 8 or 16 ohm cab. The "low" 300 watt can run two 8ohm or one 4 ohm cab. Either amp can be run in full range or run them together full range or in biamp mode.

5. They are both 8 ohm. I was told to connect the Ampeg 2x10 to the speaker.hi and the Traynor 1x15 to the speaker.lo.

6. Nah. Waste of time. Do this:

7. That will work. You can still run both amps in full range or engage the bi-amp switch. Or run both cabs from the low amp alone and add another 8 ohm cab later.

The 800RB has two independent amps in one case.

8. Thanks guys. I like the idea of going with both in speaker.lo at full amp setting.

Cheers.

It is totally cool talking to guys from Florida and Mississippi about bass!!

Awesome. Take it easy!

9. Oh hey, One more thing.

I bought a Fender precision bass that has a split pick up and a jazz pick up. If I want to play with a fat reggae sound what do you recommend for the pick up settings?

10. Run the split pickup only, with the tone completely off. Reggae city. Not quite as good as a Jazz bass, neck pickup only, but very good.

11. Thanks.

12. There is a master volume and a bi amp volume for low and high. Do you max out the lo valume and them control with the master?

What are the voicing filters for?

13. How do you know which knob controls which pick up?

14. The low and high controls are your masters. The volume control is your input gain only. Boost adds grit and grind adjust masters down the higher the boost control. The voicing filters and eq is best played with to get used to the amp. If you like really clean, keep the boost off and the masters up high, use the volume to get as loud as you need. If you like more of an in your face sound, set the "volume" between 11:00 and 1:00 and use the masters and boost for volume and "G-K Growl".

15. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    tap on it with a small screw diver