Problems with new 5-string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eclipseyou, Jun 3, 2005.

1. eclipseyou

Jun 3, 2005
    i just tuned it myself? might be the problem i have it from thickest string to thinnest as : G D A E(with music sign not #) and B

G and D buzz when i play normally not open but on frets the rest dont buzz,

D A E B buzz when i slap Open they ALL buzz when i slap with fret and it get this annoying sound of them hitting against the board loudly... anyone got suggestions?
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Did you post that right? Normal 5 string is B (lowest note, thickest string) to G (highest, thinnest string)

3. eclipseyou

Jun 3, 2005
    yea sorry i messed that up
  4. your action maybe to low, so move the string up until it stops buzzing
  5. If the new strings are significantly more or less tension, you may need to adjust the truss rod.

Changing gauges could trigger this, but if its a new bass you don't necessarily know what was on there originally to know if you changed gauges....

Hold the string against the 1st fret with one hand, and the last fret with the other hand. .

There should be very little or almost no gap between the string and the frets in the middle of the neck at that point. The string is a good straight edge to determine if the neck is bowed.

Check the setup sticky's, I think there's stuff about setting up the bass correctly.

6. eclipseyou

Jun 3, 2005
    thanks for all your help but i think i might take it to a professional to get this fixed.. i dont know how to adjust action or truss rod
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member