Problems with "Sheep"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Trist6075, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I have a pink floyd song book and am learning the song "sheep" from Animals. The problem is that it says the song is in 12/8 at 124 bpm with a quarter note (2 beats right) on the one followed by an eighth note (1 beat right) followed with what looks like a set of triplets or three eighth notes together after twice each bar. When I play it it doesnt sound the same time wise with the recording. But it feels right in 12/8 feel, playing 1a 2+A 3a 4+a. This is the intro Im talking about so this is pretty much it but the same thing goes for the whole song. How have any of you gone about playing this song?
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with that song, but maybe I can help...

First, question: does it say that quarter note = 124 bpm?

Second, can you please list the notes in the measure again one by one, I was a little confused in the post. Were there 2 sets of triplet in the measure you're talking about?

When I see a piece written in 12/8, I play it in 4/4 where a dotted quarter note = 1 beat, a quarter note followed by an eighth note = I play with a tied triplet feel (as if you are playing 2 eighth notes together with a swing feel), and 3 eighth notes together = a triplet.

Hope this helps some.

Disclaimer: I'm still tackling odd time signatures, but wanted to test myself, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. Nothing to correct, you have it!!!!!

4. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    Yeah I think their triplets. It looks like three beamed eighth notes. Here are the notes again. It starts with a quarter note then an eighth note and what looks like a triplet or three beamed eighth notes. There is this twice in each bar. It comes out to twelve beats but just doesn't sound in time the way the recording is played. I'm just gonna play it my way unless I hear anything else.
  5. If it's a triplet there should be a 3 over the beam. Depending on the feel of the song you can have three "regular" 8ths beamed together in 12/8. For example, the feel may be 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3
  6. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    "Sheep" is written in 12/8 but has a 4/4 feel to it. The set of eighth notes isn't a real triplet because the song has a 3 feel already. So it goes:

1 a 2 an a 3 a 4 an a

Which is a quarter note and an eighth followed by three beamed eighths in 12/8 time. The quarter note shouldn't get the beat, it should be a dotted quarter getting 124 bpm.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There is no problem with sheep that can't be fixed with oversized Wellies. Ahem.

What was the question again?
  8. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

You're baa-aa-aad. :D