1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ProCo You Dirty Rat vs. Turbo Rat

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jimbowhit7, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I was considering purchasing one of these two pedals in the future. I already have a RAT2, and was looking to add another Rat to my pedal board for some variety. Which of these is better?

Note: I'm not interested in the Fuzzrocious Rat Tail/Cat Tail, so please don't recommend that. I'm only concerned with the two pedals mentioned.

2. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    just mod your current rat. the only difference between those three are the clipping diodes

3. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Definitely mod the one you’ve got. I think it’s the LM308 chip that people add to make it more bass friendly. I had a turbo rat with it and it was decent. Any particular reason you don’t want a rat clone? There are pedals out there that just do it better, way better. The volt thrower and iron pig can both do it much better. Just curious why you’re hellbent on the rat

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Honestly, you really won't find a whole lot of difference between the RAT2, YDR and Turbo. There is some, but it will be a wash in the mix.

I've modded my RAT2 to have 10 clipping options (and have tried a bunch more), a LM308 chip, the Ruetz mod on Pot, soft clipping options, and a high end smooth switch. I also changed a few caps so more bass is let through.

They each have some subtle differences, the clipping diodes have some very minor EQ changes, but overall affect the volume the most. None of the options in a stock RAT of any version are my fav on bass, but the LED is the closest.

The Ruetz mod on Pot is probably the most useable mod since it changes the mid hump and makes the drive less focused in the mids, and shifts it lower.

The LM308 opens possibilities with adjusting the slew rate and I didn't really notice much difference with the OP70. The slew rate changes help with noise and gnarly-ness. It messes with the high end content and is again a subtle thing.

Adjusting the capacitors was a welcome change for bass and guitar too. I can get more convincing Messa sounds with it and a CabSim.

The soft clipping stuff is a fun on too. You can change the drive character to a more 8-bit drive sound that has some upper octave content too. The catch here is that you loose bass frequencies, so having a bit of a blend or bias setting here helps.

The other pedal options mentioned (Iron Pig and Volt Thrower) have a few of these options built in them, so if you really want different move away from the ProCo stuff.

5. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    +1 for buying a more bass-friendly RAT clone from one of the usual suspects. Unless you don't want to be heard in a mix that is. In that case, go for the Proco's.

6. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I had not heard of those two, and after looking them up they're honestly out of my price range at the moment. The reason I wanted to stick with ProCo is because I had heard good things about the Turbo Rat, and was curious about the You Dirty Rat - I listened to a couple demos of the Fuzzrocious Rat Tail and was unimpressed, to be honest. The only reason I was even looking at the other Rats was because the Rat 2 I own cuts out my low end entirely. However, I don't mind it all that much, because I love the distortion itself (with or without the low end). That being said, I am interested in the LM308 chip you mentioned. Is there a specific place I should look to purchase one? Also, would the JHS Rat Pack mod be worth considering (since it adds extra clipping options)?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  7. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I don’t know a ton about it because I bought my rat with the LM308 chip installed already. I found the pedal in the classifieds. So I personally don’t know anything about the chip or installation, I just know that’s the part people use to mod it for bass.

zapped777 likes this.
  8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Demos honestly mean little to nothing unless you have the same playing style, bass, and amp/cab.

If getting a RAT clone/clone improvement is out of your price range, as previously suggested, mod a cheap RAT on your own. If you pay someone else to mod it, you most likely won't get the money you put out for it back when/if you sell it used. Since you don't like the heavy mid bump and bass cut on your RAT2, look at the Ruetz mod.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  9. Funny you mention the turbo rat. I love that sound BUT the Proco cuts low end and just never worked in a mix... if I was still game on it I’d get the mxr version which has a dry signal to it anyway.

rratajski likes this.
  10. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I've noticed several people say that ProCo pedals don't work "in the mix" for bass, but what about bassists like Justin Chancellor (who, if I understand correctly, has a Turbo Rat as an always-on pedal running to one of his amps)? I mean, his bass tone is amazing for a lot of reasons, but it doesn't seem to get lost in the mix at all, even with the ProCo.

11. Because he has a blended channel with clean and distorted at all time... mxr version is just a mini version of that. Normal board with Proco is going to lose the low end.

rratajski likes this.
  12. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Oh, okay. Makes sense. Would using a 2 channel looper like this work - running the Rat in one loop and maybe an EQ pedal of some sort in the other simultaneously?

13. This would work better to do that..

Mosquite Blender with BJF Buffer

14. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    I had seen one of those, but I had read where someone suggested using a looper like the one I tagged to avoid any issues with phase shifting (I know the RAT doesn't do that, but I have other pedals that do that I would also want to blend). So, would the dual looper work (I'm definitely still considering the Mosquite, just wondering)?

15. Mosquito has the polarity switch which will counter any phase issue. I’d better than a boss ls2. The one you tagged is a loop switcher. It’s not actually going to blend your clean and rat... it’s the same as if you ran your bass into the rat but it’s not directly using the rats shutting switch (If there are issues with buffer, true bypass etc).

16. I’d get the mosquito, run the rat and eq in the loop and then blend in the dry. That’s how Justin chancellor does it just he uses two channels.

17. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Blending a RAT without bi or tri-amping, IMHO, only saps your signal of the RAT sound one is usually looking for. Neither your clean tone or your RAT tone will come through as strongly they would separately in a bi-amp situation.

Musicman1901 and theunknowndude like this.
  18. Very true, depends on the blend and so forth though, I like filtered blends like my mini 66 where the clean only provides the low end and the rest cia the dirt, sounds a lot more natural and yet another reason why I prefer pedals that have a built in blend and sold off my Ls2.

19. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    As somebody who kind of duplicated the JC setup before I would advise against the rat honestly. There was a period where I was doing a lot of tool stuff and wanted that tone. I had the rat with the lm308, ran an eq pedal after it to help shape the sound, and ran it into one channel then had a clean signal into another channel. Two channels; one clean and one dirty. Blended the two to try to get that sound. Ended up finding a sansamp RBI to get the job done a thousand times better and be a killer piece of gear for the studio in general. It can be used to split your signal to multiple channels or amps, it has EQ opposed to the rats “filter” knob, and you have a blend on the dirty signal. Just a better option in my opinion. However, if you’re sold on the rat then grab that one in the classifieds...it’s 75 bucks and the mod is done already.

theunknowndude likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021