1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available "Projekt Blue" P/J Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Malak the Mad, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Price:
    $600
    Strings:
    EDIT: I'm dropping the price to $600. Also, I'm putting the loaded body up for sale separately on this thread in the Accessories section.

Greetings All!

'Tis a sad day, but one must do what one must do. Circumstances have arisen that make it necessary for me to put my parts-bass project, aka "Projekt Blue" up for sale. But as sad as it is, it's been an incredible learning experience, one which I will likely undertake again in the future. For details on it's evolution, check out it's thread in the Basses section. But in the interest of brevity and convenience, here's what this lovely beast is packing;
    • Body: Mighty Mite blueburst Jazz routed for either P/J or J/J configurations
    • Neck: Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar neck (painted headstock, pearloid inlays)
    • Pickups: Fender MIJ-Precision (neck), Fender Super 55 Split-Coil Jazz (bridge)
    • Wiring harness/tone-control: Santellan Sounds wiring harness (solder-less connections, variable capacitance, capable of switching between parallel and series)

And for the rest of the hardware, all of which are black (except the neck plate);
    • Hipshot aluminum (no string-thru) bridge
    • Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    • Hipshot Drop-D tuner (the fourth, standard Ultralite tuner will be included, of course)
    • Brand-new DR Marcus Miller 45-105s
    • Fender "F-logo" neck plate (chrome)
    • Fender standard Jazz knobs
    • Fender Blacktop Jazz pickguard (was black/white/black, the white is now tinted blue)
    • no-name string retainer

The condition is nothing less than excellent. It's never been gigged with and has rarely traveled out of my home, so the pics below are consistent. If you're wondering about the weight, the final product ended up weighing a mere eight pounds, even.

I'm asking for $700 $600 for the entire package. I am not including the cost of the work my local guitar tech performed (bridge & pickup installation, routing for the Precision pickup). I'm chalking that up to "money spent on the learning experience".

I will be including the Jaguar neck's original chrome tuners, a tweed Fender gig bag. If you like, I can also throw in a black/white/black Jazz pickguard, should you want to convert it back to a J/J configuration. Shipping to the Lower 48 States is included in the price. Anything further will cost extra. PayPal is my preferred form of payment, but if you live anywhere in the Delaware, Eastern PA and New Jersey areas, maybe a hand-off could be arranged.

ProjektBlue03_zps7d4a1dfe.jpg

ProjektBlue01_zps8085cc7e.jpg

ProjektBlue02_zpseff0e1f6.jpg

ProjektBlue04_zpscaf8d716.jpg

ProjektBlue05_zps74d7a306.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    StreetScenes likes this.
  2. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Nice. I've mentioned before that this bass includes a bunch of cosmetic touches I normally don't like but they just work so well here. GLWTS

3. Malak the Mad

Thanks, Marshall. That's just the ol' art school training at work. A lot of it is about finding the right amount of balance between elements. In this case, it was meant to be a somewhat toned-down version of my previous project, the first "Projekt Blue". It was quite similar, only a Precision instead of a Jazz. Here's the initial results…

IMG 01.jpg

…which greatly informed PBII (same MightyMite blueburst and tint-job on the pickguard). However, I took it a step too far and went with gold string retainer and Hipshot Y-topped tuners, even a set of GHS Randy Jackson "gold" strings (which, by the way, sound and feel pretty awesome). Blue and gold may work well together, but the overall effect was too "blingy". That, the fact that the neck's fretboard radius turned out to be too flat, and my realization that a straight-up Precision sound just doesn't do it for me, numbered it's days. So, I scrapped it, sold off the parts and used the money to fund PBII.

Like I said earlier, I don't consider the money spent on my local tech to be wasted. It's like taking art classes or participating in crafts lessons. I've learned so much that I'm kinda excited with all the possibilities before me when I start my next one. Maybe something in trans-black this time? But first, I must find a home for this "example of locally-crafted, handmade art".

Many heartfelt thanks to everyone who's given me input, suggestions and support on this projekt. You, dear folks, are the ones who truly rock! :thumbsup::woot:

4. jbl71004

jbl71004 Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Charleston, WV
    Damn, that's pretty.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Is that split coil crooked, or are my old eyes playing tricks?

Pretty bass

6. Malak the Mad

Not crooked. The top picture is at a slight angle…maybe one to two degrees off-center. Plus, there's the center-line rise of the middle poles to keep them closer to the arched rise of the strings. Then there's the pickguard keeping everything in place. That thing is such a tight fit, nothing's gonna fall out of place.

Either way, it doesn't matter anyway. I've since replaced those Duncans with an MIJ Precision pup.

As far as your eyes go, I don't think they're old, just a little obscured by six or seven feet of snow. :D

Thanks for the compliment, Charlie! ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  7. Malak the Mad

8. Malak the Mad

On hold for possible "while I'm on vacation" sale! :thumbsup:

9. Malak the Mad

Still waiting to hear back from the possible buyer, so for now I'm gonna bump this to the top to keep interest alive. If I don't hear back from him in a couple of days, I'll take it off hold.

10. Malak the Mad

Okay, no word from the would-be buyer, so the bass is back up for sale.

11. Soooo Gassing for this!

Why do I need a $1200 crown for a chipped molar, 3 days before Christmas?!?!

GLWS, will be watching this.

12. Malak the Mad

A friend of mine calls it "The Law of Conservation of Inconvenience" and I am all-too familiar with it's frustration-inducing ways. :banghead:

Good luck with the crown. Let's hope it doesn't turn ice cream into your mortal enemy. :bawl:

DerekW likes this.
  13. Malak the Mad

Bump!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021