1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proper cable from bass amp to speaker

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SoundWeavers, Jun 24, 2007.

1. SoundWeavers

SoundWeavers

May 3, 2007
    Hi gang,

Which cable make and model is best to use with a bass amp and speaker cabinet?

I have been using ordinary instrument cables to connect bass amp to speaker.

But I'm curious if the proper cable will make a difference in sound.

Ampeg SVT6PRO to EDEN 4x10

The Ampeg manual recommends using the Speakon connectors.

What cable type should I use?

thanks

2. eb76

eb76

Jun 8, 2007
    Fort Wayne
    Are you asking which brand? As far as brand goes, I like Monster because they're nearly indestructible. If Ampeg suggests Speakon, use Speakon. I wouldn't continue using an instrument cable though.

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    You use speaker cables not instrument cables.

4. SoundWeavers

SoundWeavers

May 3, 2007
  5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
  6. heavymetalmage

heavymetalmage

Jun 24, 2007
    Instrument cables are coaxial which means that the ground wire is wrapped around the positive hot wire inside the cable. This is to prevent RF noise because instruments give off a very low level signal. Speaker cables on the other hand run side by side because they have a very powerful signal and don't need to worry about RF interference. Therefore, you can use instrument cables as speaker cables but it will shorten the life of your amp drastically because of the extra impedance. As for a brand, ProCo is highly recommended.

7. SoundWeavers

SoundWeavers

May 3, 2007
    thanks guys, appreciate it!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021