1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Prototype Basses - Got one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 20, 2012.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am a big fan of prototype basses. As it turns out I have several. Did not realize it for most of them when I bought them, but I have found out about them after the fact. I have 4 actually. 2 I keep because they are rare and cool, but not really worth much more than I paid for them. 1 I used every day and it is my 100% player bass. It comes with me everywhere. The last bass is just sentimental so I keep it..
    I would love to pick up more (I like to buy 1 or 2 basses a year if possible) but don't get out into the world much anylonger. Let's see them if you got them... Non-Production, 1 off basses!!

2. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    This is the Warmoth G5 Prototype body. It is the one they used as the design for the G5
    mvc-004f.
    My 1999 Washburn Force ABT Prototype in Birdseye Bubinga Note the straight tuners
    WashHole.
    My 2004 Starfire 10 String. Not positive, but seems to be a 1 of a kind
    acef_1.
    My Approx 1978 Modulus Bassstar Neck Thru
    189214_10150102911954543_36009024542_6408004_7384419_n.

3. I really like the looks of the washburn. Cool basses. However, I don't own any prototype basses.

4. pwnyman

pwnyman

Nov 29, 2010
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I've got what I'm told is a prototype of a Japanese squire, it's a red contemporary bass. I'm on my phone so I can't post the pics I have of it. But it's go no serial numbers on it and the back neck plate is a gold fender one as opposed to the silver ones that came on them when they were sold. It originally came from a guy who worked at fender which is fairly local to me.

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I love to see a pick of that