1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prototypes.. would you buy one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by racket, Mar 20, 2010.

1. racket

racket

Jul 26, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    FMIC Employee
    I have a chance to buy a prototype, same specs as a production model. Would the value go up?. Mind you I love the bass. I sounds amazing, it's light, and I'm going to get it regardless but I was wondering if in the long run it would be worth more.

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    what is it?
    who made it?

3. Hi.

Is it a design prototype or manufacturing prototype? Perhaps a material choice prototype of an existing design?

There's all sorts of prototypes, some more valuable than others. Usually in all walks of life, prototypes tend to lack in certain finishing standards even though the craftmanship may be higher.

Some companies sell test runs as prototypes, as well as 0-series items.

Like cnltb asked, what is it? That's most likely the factor that determines the value, unless it differs a lot from the production models.

Regards
    Sam

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    See my sig. The cool (or bad, maybe) thing is that this bass is a lot different than his current models. You also have to be careful that you really know what you have. I bought this from Mike's friend. He thought it was like any other Lull. I emailed him about the serial # not being on the headstock. He said he didn't know why. So I had to email Mike's shop and Roger responded right away. That's when I knew what I had.

5. Unless the instrument itself is a dog, what's not to love about prototypes and one of a kind instruments ?

yes, as a collectible, it will most likely bring increased valuation over it's production counterparts...depending on condition of course.

Keep a mind on provenance for the future, gain as much documentation on it as you can, now, you'll thank us later....

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020