1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pulling my hair out over concentric knobs.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bdplaid, Jul 26, 2017.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Every damned time I use EMG I swear I'll never do it again. The plastic knobs are so tight to each other if you turn one, you turn both. The replacement metal knobs never fit right, they tighten up crooked and - yep - turning one turns both.

I have knobs in 6mm/8mm from EMG, BBG, et al. None fit right.

Any suggestions? Other than a hammer?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Make sure the bottom knob is all the way down. Then add the top knob leaving enough of a gap to ensure they don't bind. Like 1/16" before it "stops" against the lower knob. Should turn freely. Can be aggravating to get set, sure, but not impossible.

bdplaid and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. bdplaid

bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Right, and I did that. The prob is always that the top knob either bottoms out on the bottom knob, or that it won't rotate cleanly within the "shroud" encompassing the outside of the top knob. This is especially true about those awful, awful standard EMG knobs, but can be true of the aftermarket metal knobs, too.

I have found a solution: space the upper knob upwards. I filled the center shaft hole of the upper knob with some material that will allow the top knob to keep the spacing between the upper and lower knobs. Now it works. In my case, I used a simple chunk of paper towel. Works fine now.

I'll have to remember this.

The prob is with EMG: they don't allow for panel thickness variances in stalling the concentric pot, therefore the knobs apparently only fit properly on thin panels. Also, why in the he77 they use a D-shaped shaft on the upper (treble) knob is beyond me. Really limits the knob placement as the knobs have a set screw, and the only way to really adjust the knob rotation positioning it is to re-align the entire pot rotation. In many cases this is not possible because the large electronics on the pot will hit something inside the cavity. EMG are you listening? Didn't think so.

Thanks.

bholder likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Agreed on all points. :)

bdplaid likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Can you trim/grind the knobs so they don't bear on each other?

6. bdplaid

bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    I needed to trim off about 3mm and that was a bit much for a brass knob. I don't have metalworking tools other than the usual files and such. Spacing the knob had the same effect. Thanks.

mech likes this.