Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punk Jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Has anyone heard Jaco's 'Punk Jazz'? What do you think?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    A little too hyper for my taste, but a bad ass display of bass work indeed.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like it, in your face, percolating bass(my favorite ;), great arrangement, grooves...It's a good tune.

Have you heard Marcus Miller's remix? he turns it into like a hip hop type groove, it's pretty neat, you can find it on the word of mouth revisited album, speaking of which, the WoM:revisited album has a great version of punk jazz too.

I don't like how on the birthday concert album they build up all nice like, but then it just fades out, obviously they played longer, but they cut it short on the album...ah well.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How can you wrong with Tony Williams & Jaco?!

I've been using that tune's title as my e-mail address since day 1...
    ;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The actual tune is quite slow and funky!! :meh:

But on the Weather Report version there is a little improvised moment between Jaco and Tony Williams as Jim says, at the beginning, which is great - although it's not really part of that tune as such - on other versions it doesn't happen.

So the Word of Mouth revisited band starts with a very slow rubato reading of tune on sax and then into the funk!

The Birthday concert version again starts with slow rubato solo sax and then a very short slow bass solo/fill, then into the funk! So - I think the WR version was just a spur of the moment thing in the studio - hey I've got Tony Williams here - lets rip ! And not part of the tune.

I don't think it's one of Jaco's best compositions and there's not much "punk" about it at all really - it's more like Funk Jazz!!

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You might be thinking about Teen Town.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BB-
    The intro to "Punk Jazz" from Mr. Gone is very "hyper" & "bad ass"...more so than even "Teen Town"(IMO).

Jaco drops some very cool tripletted "bombshells"(as I call 'em) during the tune's main body.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    How embarrassing....I was.

Been a while since I spun any Jaco. Shame on me.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Aw, c'mon!

Spin "Punk Jazz" from Mr. Gone...now!

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's true that the intro to the 'gone version of Punk jazz is frenetic, but the majority of it is far more laid back than other versions.

I love the synth horns in that one though, they sound pretty damn good, well, that is...they *fit* in the song very well.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

One word-
    Zawinul.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BTW, a very cool version of "Teen Town" is on the Live & Unreleased double album.
    Check out Shorter's "Elegant People", too.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    for real, this man was an electronic magician!

augh, for the life of me I can't remember some of his contemporaries, there were 2 or 3 other cats that were equally notorious for buying *all* the latest synths and really pushing the limit and development of electronic instruments. well, granted there were probably dozens more, these 2(3) I'm thinking of, were often talked about in the same breath as zawinul.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

best version out there imo

that whole album is great, Alphonso johnson's line on 'cucumber slumber' is one of my all time favorite basslines.

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have this bootlegged video from a TV special in Germany where they have the added sections from 8:30 as well as all of the original sections from Heavy Weather. It's pretty badass.

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Good enough for chuck rainey to use it on the intro of steely dan's "peg." ;)

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Corea?
    Hancock?
    Jan Hammer?
    George Duke?

18. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I agree. That's the coolest version with Weather Report anyway. Especially since Joe Zawinul isn't playing that stupid bass synth over Jaco. One of the best, in my opinion, is his version with Mike Stern on Live in New York Vol. 5. The quality isn't as good, but it's totally sweet nevertheless.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How do thorse versions compare with the one he did with Bireli Lagrene, does anyone know.?

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But the point I was making along with some other people, was that this was not part of the actual tune as such - but rather a short jam in the studio.

On all the other versions of the tune, there is a slow solo sax melody at the beginning. So I was saying that the actual tune itself, is laid-back and funky - not punky!! ;)

On the Word of Mouth Revisited album notes, Peter Graves mentions how this was one of the early tunes that Jaco wrote and there is obviously a written version which exists and which starts with the slow rubato sax melody - as the exact same line appears on WoMRevisited and the Birthday Concert, other live recordings etc.

No other version is remotely "hyper" - and the written introduction is very slow!

Presumably, this manic intro just reflected Jaco's excitement at playing with Tony Williams and was nothing to do with the tune "Punk Jazz" itself and could have been tagged on to the beginning of any tune.