1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pup Height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey Guys, quick question. Can you describe the affects in sound of having the pups close to the strings and having them further away?

I have a very muddy sound out my Embassy V and am trying to clean it up a bit anyway I can.

Thanks!

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Best way isw try it yourself on your bass. In most cases raising the individual pole peices increases treble and bite a little bit. With pole peices flush or slightly below the pups top, theres ussually a small decrease in treble. Muddynesss can sometimes be removed by raising the pole peices a bit. With pups that dont have adjustable pole peices they ussually seem to me to have a sound thats allmost like raised pole peices.
    Raising the whole pup ussually doesn two thing. One it gives a little bit hotter sound and two if raised too much strings bang against them or magnetic field starts speeding up note fade out. Overly low pups can make the instrument sound a bit weak and overly mellow. The key is to adjust the pups each individually for best to you voice. Then raise or lower one or the other just a little bit for best blended both on full voicing.

Well, start experimenting. Use something like a repeated arp progression and some multi string strumming that you play over and over as your hearing guide. Useing high qaulity headphones out your processors output can help to hear the little tonal differences to better dial in your pup adjustments to best taste. Then expect to tweak them a little a couple days later.

I'll add that the final adjusting I do is for best sound with either the bridge or neck pup rolled off just a little bit. This adjustment is via raising the bridge pup or the neck pup. Or lowering one of them if their allready at about max height. About one to max of 2 turns with screwdriver. It some how creates a sweet spot in the sound for that slightly tilted toward neck or bridge.

Pup adjustment wont make a bad sounding bass sound great. But it can make a good sounding one sound great. Or just so so if adjusted wrong way. Lol.