1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pura!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomd03, Nov 13, 2004.

1. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Please dont ban me from the forums for this :)() but there's a new brand of guitars I want you guys to take a look at.

I met "Michael Hughes" who is a fairly well known musician in Saskatoon, saskatchawan, canada (I don't live there, i'm an albertan, was just goin down for a trip). Anyways, he's an irish/celtic musician and plays in a group called "The Lighthouse Penguins" and he plays multiple instruments, Guitar, Mandolin and the Irish Bouzouki. So he brought me his instruments, and it was a brand i'd never seen before, Pura. So he gave me Mr. Pura's brochure and when i got home i checked it out, needless to say, i was AMAZED.

www.puraguitars.com is the site,

http://www.puraguitars.com/gallery.html for pictures of some he's made. He's only made 2 basses but I'm asking him a price about a custom one that i provided specs with. (specs included, flame maple top with transparent amber or green finish, 35'' scale, 4 string fretless, maple fingerboard, neck thru design, and some other stuff i forget)

so check his stuff out and spread the word :)

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    the sleek looking jazz with the music man pup looks nice, but i alsmost pee'd my pants when i saw that electric mandolin. funiest looking instrument ever! i want one :)

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Looks pretty good, even if the design isn't terribly original. I don't really think it is considered advertising unless you are teh one selling or profiting from the plug. The thread title was a bad idea however. ;)

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yup. Changed.

5. yeah they look nice. i would feel more comfortable buying a custom hand built bass from a bassist though. This guy seems to be more a guitar man.

I am not a luthier or anything but I would rather explain bass nuances and tones and feel to a bass player. Maybe it does not matter. It is just a feeling.