Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pura!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomd03, Nov 13, 2004.

1. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Please dont ban me from the forums for this :)() but there's a new brand of guitars I want you guys to take a look at.

I met "Michael Hughes" who is a fairly well known musician in Saskatoon, saskatchawan, canada (I don't live there, i'm an albertan, was just goin down for a trip). Anyways, he's an irish/celtic musician and plays in a group called "The Lighthouse Penguins" and he plays multiple instruments, Guitar, Mandolin and the Irish Bouzouki. So he brought me his instruments, and it was a brand i'd never seen before, Pura. So he gave me Mr. Pura's brochure and when i got home i checked it out, needless to say, i was AMAZED.

www.puraguitars.com is the site,

http://www.puraguitars.com/gallery.html for pictures of some he's made. He's only made 2 basses but I'm asking him a price about a custom one that i provided specs with. (specs included, flame maple top with transparent amber or green finish, 35'' scale, 4 string fretless, maple fingerboard, neck thru design, and some other stuff i forget)

so check his stuff out and spread the word :)

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    the sleek looking jazz with the music man pup looks nice, but i alsmost pee'd my pants when i saw that electric mandolin. funiest looking instrument ever! i want one :)

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Looks pretty good, even if the design isn't terribly original. I don't really think it is considered advertising unless you are teh one selling or profiting from the plug. The thread title was a bad idea however. ;)

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yup. Changed.

5. yeah they look nice. i would feel more comfortable buying a custom hand built bass from a bassist though. This guy seems to be more a guitar man.

I am not a luthier or anything but I would rather explain bass nuances and tones and feel to a bass player. Maybe it does not matter. It is just a feeling.