1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Purchasing CD's, DVD's, software to jam with...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LightGroove, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Hey all,

Please move to the appropriate forum if this isn't it.

I want to practice more and to plug in and jam to nothing isn't doing it for me anymore. I've heard a couple of clips on you tube with a guy using a Groove Activator for well a Groove... Can anyone recommend a few Cd's or some software to groove a long with. I had an old multi-effects unit that had some cheesy drum beats but was still groovable. Looking for higher quality stuff.

Kind regards

2. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Band in a box - just about the best practice tool you can get. There's a 30 day free trial at PGMUSIC.com. You can use it a gazillion ways to help you practice - not just grooving along to songs!

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Beat me to it. This is great advice - I use BIAB every single day!

4. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    my only heads up to BIAB is that you do need theroy for it. only reason im not using it. even with verry basic theroy you can lay down some stuff.

theres also reason, a bit more of an industrail music workstation, but you can mix just about everything with it

5. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    BIAB is great, no doubt. I have been using it for years. I also really like the Hal Leonard play along series. Only 8 tunes per book, but they choose pretty solid tunes with basslines that most of us need to know. Even if we don't play those specific tunes, being able to play along with them is a good exercise, as they pop up in many different tunes.

6. Thanks all for the advice. I'm coming from a complete improve background. I've had no lessons other than a friend showed me a few octaves when I was getting started. I play EVERYTHING by feel and well its ok but finally catching up with me. 10 Years and I've finally hit a wall :D

I did stumble across a cool looping site but most require some variation of software.