1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Purist or effects junkie?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smithy78, Mar 21, 2009.

1. smithy78

smithy78

Mar 15, 2009
    Do you rather the natural sound of the guitar and amp, maybe one or two stompboxes... Or do you like piling on the effects for a more synthesized sound?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You do realise you're in the effects forum, right? This area is full of giant pedalboards, and the bigger the better. I'm one of the "lesser" users, and have 2 full boards, one with 5 "essential" pedals that are used regularly with my band, and another with 9 "essential" pedals for another project in the works. Compared to most here, that's nothing.

3. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I'm both. :) I've got a board w/ 6-8 pedals, and I generally use most of them. But sometimes that feels a little pretentious, so I make sure to play a show every now and then just bass and amp. It's pretty refreshing.

4. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I like both. I currently have a live electronic project going where my sound is fully synthesized. For some solo stuff I do at home I do just bass-amp. It's all about application and what suits the music!

5. smithy78

smithy78

Mar 15, 2009
    Wow :eek: I think if effects are used properly, to enhance musical experience then they are a great thing. But you also get crappy guitarists who use loads of effects to try and hide how bad they are.

6. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!! Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    Bass---morley wah---boss tuner---big muff----morley wah----amp. I use two wah pedals because I like the sound of them before and after the fuzz/distortion. However I do consider myself a purist. :bassist:

7. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I have an eye here. If this degenerates it will be closed.

8. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I go through phases where I like to play just bass, cable, and amp... and then I like to run every effect I can possibly run. You know- one week I'll like a back to basics, no-frills just meat and potatoes bass. Then the next week I'll want what-the-hell Down With Disease (for you Phish phans) freaked out poopiee.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It doesn't have to degenerate.

I think if you need/use effects and do it tastefully and in a way that supports the music, it doesn't matter how many you use - or don't. I currently don't use effects. I have gone through "phases" where I have. I want to use them, but can't really find a place where they are appropriate in my current groups.

As with all my gear, that could change at any time.

10. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Started playing bass in 2001... From 2001-2003 it was just bass-amp. 2003-2008 I used a drive pedal here and there... From january to march 2009, I've bought 3 effect pedals and plan on buying 3 more... And I've sworn to myself that will be all.

I'm turning into a junkie.

11. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    I would consider myself in between purist and addict. I love effects, but for the most part, they are just tools to pushing some boundries and exploring what can actually be done with a bass.

I normally use 2-3 different effects in a band setting, but to a very limited degree.
    As previously stated - it all depends on the music.

\\nero

12. Jeff in TX

Jeff in TX Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Lone Star State
    I try and base my decision on what the music wants. Sometimes no effects, sometimes many.

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I don't have a huge pedalboard...my board has 9 stompboxes including a tuner....During gigs, I use different effects and combinations for a few songs throughout the night as needed...but for the majority of songs, i don't use them.

I love playing with effects...but I think you will find that for the most part in this forum...these guys know "when and when not" to use them during live performances...but there are a lot of guys like me in here (I think), that also love to noodle and experiment at home with different sounts and effects...so they have a bunch of stuff they will probably never use live.

14. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I've gone through a couple phases in the past couple years of using more effects but I've recently downsized to the ones I'm really in love with; filter, overdrive, compressor & tuner/mute. These feel like a part of my voice. I also use an 8 second delay for solo stuff.

15. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    This sums me up pretty good when I'm trying to explain my approach to effects. They're there if you want them... to kick in when you want to make things interesting.

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I don't differentiate, I go for the sound I want for the situation I need it for.

17. I swing both ways!

:)

I'm one of those with the idiotically huge boards, my "Gen 2" or the big board has close to 30 pedals on it which revolve depending on need, and the smaller one has 12 most of the time. There are a lot of times that I prefer bass --> amp though, or more often just minimal pedals such as a volume, my Cream Pie and a dirt pedal like my Bluebeard.

I don't think this one will go downhill. It's a new guy curious about things and seeking information. If the "purists" keep it clean we should be fine.

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was a purist before I came to this forum.

You made my bank account hurt so good and I thank you for it :D

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Yes this is a sick evil place that corrupts us all.

20. some where in between