Put stickers on a Bass??????

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Joe Tully, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Joe Tully

Joe Tully

Mar 11, 2019
    I have a '37 Kay, I would keep unadulterated. However what about the Erich Pfretzschner I just bought for $500, gonna fit it with Weedwackers and a K&K? Although the finish is good does it deserve to be covered in retro themed stickers? Maybe I deserve to be covered in stickers instead IDK but a home run might be a cool Rockabilly Vibe. Opinions?

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    There was a time early last year when I was considering stickers on my Alcoa...

Here's what I was thinking about:

On the driver-side C trap door:

Ejection Seat.jpg

Just below the trap door and in the same position on the opposite bout:

No Step.jpg

Just below each F-hole:
    Jet Blast.jpg

But after a while I decided I liked the silver powder coat just the way it is.

Winoman and JC Nelson like this.
  4. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    In my experience over the last year, Superior Bassworks (SBW) Deluxe strings are probably the best wackers that I've heard and played on any bass so far, these spiral cut kevlar core strings sound great -- the spiral cut makes a huge difference in sound and touch, plus they work very well for arco. And with the dirty gut color the Deluxe strings do look very much like gut...

But if you're going to also play acoustically I'd recommend doing something different for the E and A strings so you can hear yourself play them around other loud instruments. I went with Innovation SilverSlaps E and A under SBW Deluxe D and G, and have been extremely happy with this mix both acoustically and plugged in.

I'm using the K&K Dual Channel Pro ST pre-amp myself and really like it. I was a little concerned about having the EQ/Gain settings hidden inside the case, but I have set the EQ and Gain the way I like them and I leave them that way, controlling everything else at my amp level -- and I really like the simplicity of only having the volume controls exposed.

5. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    0E6C976D-5045-4B33-A1F9-A0A94266D018.jpeg Like this? It is not my bass.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    If you have to ask about stickers, you aren’t ready for stickers! :D

Dick Lont, Winoman, JC Nelson and 2 others like this.
  7. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    It'd be cool to have a bass inexpensive enough that I could paint it in my team's colors (see avatar). It would get a sticker or two.

210superair and Supadope like this.
  8. Joe Tully

Joe Tully

Mar 11, 2019
    Wow that bass looks like an interior wall from the fort we had when i was 10. Cherry. The duct tape is boss too. No, I mean something...get ready for the oxymoron...stickers -tastefully done -stickers there's a fine line between art and cheese yet something can be sooo cheesy it turns the corner, heads back to Coolsville. K&K RB Plus through a 100 watt Gallien Kruger for the bass and a 50watt Peavey for the slap. WEEDWACKERS like for $20 a set. I never played on anything but steel except for the school bass in grade school - two strings were gut. Does the cheapness indicate crap? Please respond if you have played these strings, no assumptions please,and I'm sure if I spend $200 there are plenty of recommendations...

210superair likes this.
  9. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    My opinion: stickers on the instrument will make the bass the focal point of your playing, instead of your contribution to the music. If that’s what you want, put stickers on your bass. Or paint it. Or do whatever will help you get what you want.

In both of the settings I play in (pop covers in bar gigs and Western swing/bluegrass) I want the actual instrument to be secondary to what listeners hear.

10. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    On a beater, why not? As long as you don't have some lame coexist sticker on it or something.

I like the idea dhergert but Alcoa basses look so cool as is

11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I find that putting stickers on any instrument to be very childish
    But that is just my humble opinion
    Duke

B String, Supadope and carl h. like this.
  12. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    It'll make it go faster.

If it works on the $1500 Honda Civic with the $5000 sound system, neon lights underneath, and fart can muffler, why wouldn't it work on a bass?

Only question is, will it make you look like a lonely guy the way the pseudo-street-racer-wtih-stickers does?

Mister Boh, Cheez and theduke1 like this.
  13. Joe Tully

Joe Tully

Mar 11, 2019
    Yeah and spoilers on mini vans...

14. It will still make a nice a enough fire, I'd avoid roasting any food over it with the plastic in the fumes, though.

AGCurry and dhergert like this.
  15. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Hmmm, mine isn't going to burn very well. I could probably get it cherry red, like a well seasoned pot-belly stove though. That'd be just before it turns into a lump of hot metal.

16. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    um, rockabilly isn't drawing nearly as much as Mumford-grass, so that maybe just leave it brown with one well-placed mooneyes sticker?

damonsmith likes this.
  17. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Googled "Mumford grass" and got nothing. Can you help a brother out?

210superair likes this.
  18. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I think he’s alluding to Americana/Folk stuff like Mumford and Sons and New/Bluegrass groups such as Nickel Creek?
    I, of course, could be wrong. It has been know to happen with alarming frequency.

UMA1, MattZilla and RBrownBass like this.
  19. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    yup.

Inky13 and RBrownBass like this.
  20. If it’s the right sticker in the right place, it’s great. Most of the time it’s neither of those. It should look like it was born with it on there.

210superair likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021