QSC PLX, 1602 or 2402?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slombovia, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I am soooo tempted. I bought a PLX 3402 for our PA, but it'd be a kick to hook up my D-410XLT, D-210XLT, and my D-115XL on one side, and my two JBL MR-918 subs to the other (through a crossover), then see if I can find "my tone."

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Inactive

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I wouldnt have hesitated. The doubt is little.

AJ

3. Or haul your tone around...

:D

4. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    :

Arnold Schwarzenegger voice on:

DO IT .... DO IT NOW !!!

Arnold voice off:

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have been brainwashed by all of you power junkies... :eek: I just pulled the trigger on a 2402, not a 1602 like I original thought. Can't wait until I get it!!

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You have made a wise choice. You won't regret it.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Chester, Connecticut
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's only true for running full-power continuous sine waves, like on a test bench. That's what we do when we test them, and that's why service benches need heavier duty AC than you need for putting regular audio through an amp.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Chester, Connecticut
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The Crest Professional Series amps also used a constant maximum gain of 40×, or 32 dB.

There's always a debate between constant input sensitivity and constant gain. The nice thing about constant gain, or at least telling the user what the gain actually is, is that you can use that to calculate power in a system. For example, if you know that 1 volt in equals 40 volts out, and 0.5 volt in equals 20 volts out, and so on, you can develop a relationship between the signal level you put into the amp and the power you get out of it. Naturally, this is more important in multi-amplifier PA and designed sound systems than in instrument amplification. With "constant-sensitivity" amps, a certain input voltage, usually around 1 volt RMS, will make the amp put out full rated power at full gain. It may be more convenient for single-amp systems.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I ended up going with the 3002 - not because I anticipated needing 3000w ever (evil grin), but because of the power ability of a single channel into one 8-ohm speaker. I wanted to make sure that, if my speaker setup was just one 8-ohm cab, I'd have enough power to play a decently loud gig and have a little headroom. 500w fits that bill. :D

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    geshel, I'm curious: wouldn't mono-bridging the PLX 1602 give you something like 1200 watts into a single 8 ohm cab? What am I missing here? :meh:

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm. OK, maybe I forgot why I went with the 3002. Maybe it was for that 3kw potential. :D

I think it was probably the possibilty of running a stereo pair of 8-ohm speakers. But anyway - it boiled down to "worth the extra $".

12. I got both my PLX 3002 for (a) price was right, (b) I use both channels for bi-amping.

Both came from eBay, and I was in the right place at the right time. The 2402 seem to bring a higher used price at the time, so I got the 3002 instead.

The 3002 will put out 900 watts per channel into a 4 ohm load, so I can drive two bi-amped subs on a single channel, and (waste) the other channel for the highs.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Gotcha! :cool:

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022