1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Quarter pound J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Mar 21, 2009.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Hey, i want to get an aggresive sound for pick playing out of my jazz, somewhat similar to (but not emulating) the aggression of an MM. I hear the quarter pounders go good for a hifi kinda aggresive sound. But the thing is, i also want to be able to dial in a smooth, more subtle and more typical 'j' sounding tone for finger playing that doesnt exactly pickup all the nuances of the frets/fingering etc.

Im afraid that from what ive heard of the QP's that i wont be able to acheive that sound. Would the SJB2 hots be a safer choice maybe?

2. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    If you have a pure J-bass and are looking for some subtlety, I would definitely recommend going with anything BUT Quarter Pounders. I have a Fender Aerodyne P/J with the SJB-3 Quarter Pounder, and it is a hot-running hummer for sure...about as subtle as a Hummer too...

You also say that you want to emulate an MM, which means that the STK-J2 might be more your speed; it's pretty hot and noiseless, yet still can sound like a J-Bass and is more subtle than the Quarter Pounder. I am actually thinking about replacing my SJB-3 with one...

http://www.bestbassgear.com/basslines-pickups-stkj2.htm

3. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Oooh the hot stack? I hadnt even considered that for some reason. :meh: Among the pickups ive considered are the qp's, hots, dimarzio model j's and ultra j's. But yeah, ill look into them!

Have you tried had experience with them? What are they like?
    Or has anyone else had/have the hot stacks?

4. you might even try only changing the bridge pickup and switching between the neck and bridge when you want to change sounds.