1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question about control pot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fat punk, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. fat punk

    fat punk

    Jul 27, 2004
  2. fat punk

    fat punk

    Jul 27, 2004
    i see the link didn't work right, but anyways if you open that and hit switches on the left, the bottom 2 on that page
  3. Chasarms

    Chasarms Casual Observer

    May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is simply a pot that includes a DPDT on-on switch. Pretty handy little thing actually.

    DPDT means Double Pole, Double Throw. Double pole means there are two sets of independant poles so two circuits can be switched. Double throw means both are activated in the same motion. On-on means there is a circuit closed in either direction. It is a two-position switch.

    These are very common switches with a variety of applications. This one is nice because you wouldn't have to drill another hole in your bass to install it.

    Just a few things you might use a DPDT for include:

    1. Series/parallel switch on a jazz bass
    2. Active/passive switch to bypass onboard preamp
    3. Bass or treble boost as part of a particular preamp design

    There are countless other things you could do with it depending on what you ultimately want to engineer