Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about EMG PJ set!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassophile, Jul 7, 2004.

1. HI everybody!

I have Ibanez SR1300, with AFR pickups, but I don't like their sound! I noticed that Victor Wooten uses EMG PJ. What are you think about these pickups!
    One more question: On Ibanez I have active electronics with vary mid, treble amd bass!(ibanez electronics) How EMG pickups and Ibanez electronics will fitt together? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

2. The EMG PJ set is great, I have them in several of my basses. Take out all the Ibanez pickups and electronics and put the stuff up for sale on EBAY.
    The EMG PJ set comes stock with volume, volume, tone controls but you can get all kinds of extra bass EQ stuff from EMG if you want to add more tone flexibility.
    Go with EMG, they make every bass sound better! :hyper:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

3. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I second that opinion!

I have the EMG PJ set in my Precision Plus and it brought the bass to life. I don't even know where my Lace Sensors are after I removed them.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had EMG P/J Set in a MIA Fender Hot Rod P, and they sounded great. Also, EMG J's were by far the best sounding pickups on the market for my Warwick Thumb 5.

However, I don't think I'd say EMG's are great every application. For example: in an acoustically bright jazz bass (such as a Geddy Jazz) EMG J's sound very thin to my ears.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

My first bass was an Ibe GSR 200 with EMG PJ's and BTC preamp. Quiet, clear, hi-fi tone that could shake ground or crack crystal. They may or may not suit your taste but you'll get quality tones regardless and you won't have any trouble getting someone to take them off your hands if you decide to sell.

You can land some pups and try them with the stock harness and see what you think. I've got an EMG BQS control with variable mid that I'd sell for what I've got in it if you choose to go with that preamp. EMG states their pups are designed to work with their systems and not their controls but if there's any problem running the controls with their pups, I sure haven't been able to tell it and I've run plenty. I usually have an extra set of PJ's laying around but not currently.