Question about Gallien Krueger 8 ohm + 4 ohm cab & amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masbojyty, Jan 6, 2022.

1. So would the following head + cab combo work well? GK legacy 800 (800 watts max output, 2 ohm minimum load) with GK CX410 4 ohm cab (handles 800watts) + GK CX 115 8 ohm cab (handles 300watts). I think this would be awesome.

So (8x4)/(8+4) = 2.666 ohms would be the total ohms in parallel, and with 4 ohm + 8 ohm cabs it would mean that 2/3 of the heads power goes to the 410, so 2/3x800=533 watts for that and 1/3x800=266 watts for the CX115.

Thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

In theory it should be fine, but not sure the 115 would bring a whole lot to the table plus you’d be pushing that single driver pretty hard.

But..one way to find out!

eriky4003 and Masbojyty like this.
  3. fgallien

fgallien

Mar 3, 2014
    Hey, just answered this via our youtube channel, but wanted to reach out here as well. That is a classic cabinet combo and would work well. You nailed the math, flip to the 8+4 and you are good to go!

Masbojyty likes this.
  4. Thank you so much for the replies!

fgallien likes this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Why the 1X15? I'd bet the 4X10 would do most of what you need. I'd add a second 4X10 if it didn't.

6. I own a GK CX 115 already and need some more power for gigs and rehearsals. So I want to add a head and a 410 that I can combine into a stack with the 115 when needed :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  7. I used to own a GK 410 combo but sold that and got the 115 and a bass head for the lighter weight and lighter sound purposes. Seems like I've now come full circle and need the big oomph again :D

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    In that case why not a second 1X15? Pairing like cabinets typically yields better results. There is a lot of information here on mixing cabs and driver sizes.

9. That is definitely a solid option, but I sort of like the versatility that adding a 410 offers. Could probably handle all rehearsals and some gigs only with the 410 and then have 115 at my disposal for my own practice use or for the stack. Im also quite curious to see how the 410 + 115 stack would sound :D

Edit: Tho the sound of 2x15 would probably be amazing! Enticing..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Just keep in mind that your entire rig will be limited to what the 1x15 can do. No matter how good your 4x10 might be, your setup will only be able to get as loud as the 1x15. So while your 4x10 is cruising and wanting more power, your 1x15 will be struggling and complaining as it reaches its limit.

I suggest this...3 1X15'S. Your amp is 2 ohm stable so it can run them fine, or you can even run a 4th one if you wish. This gets you matching cabinets and you can use as many or as few as you want.

stigbeve, basscooker and Lobster11 like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022