1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question about idyllwild summer program..

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by stencilman, Apr 29, 2010.

1. stencilman

stencilman

Jul 24, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    what's the difference between the hs symphony and the chamber fest? and how does each ensemble factor into the festival orchestra?

i know that the hs symphony coach is david h. young, and the chamberfest coach is charles deramus. they both seem like great coaches, but i hear that the orchestras get to play at disney hall... is this true? the websites really vague. thanks in advance,

-stencil

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    The Chamber Festival is solely Chamber Music, and the Symphonic Program is purely orchestral playing.

I'm positive that the Disney Hall concert doesn't happen anymore, and I'm pretty sure that the old Festival Orchestra doesn't exist anymore. If Livingston has migrated to the HS orchestra, which I think he has, you should try to make that work. He is a lot of fun to spend a week or two with.

I've never worked with David before, but have heard solid things.

I absolutely loved working with Charlie, and used to rearrange my summer schedule to try and make it out for the Festival Orchestra (which usually involved flying across the country once more than needed), because he has helped me that much. He is a phenomenal teacher with an elegant way of describing how to play and an incredible fluidity on the bass. Plus, Idyllwild is sweet in august.

3. Estherfan

Estherfan

Feb 1, 2008
    I was told that there is now a chamber orchestra this year, rather than just chamber music. The chamber orchestra is for more advanced high school students and the symphony orchestra is for less advanced high school students. There are no college students in the program anymore, which I think is kind of a bummer. I think the chamber orchestra is replacing the festival orchestra and Larry Livingston is conducting it. David Young and Charlie DeRamus are both awesome, as is Larry Livingston. I'm not sure who is conducting the symphony orchestra, but it will probably be pretty cool. It's a great place, I highly recommend it.

4. That's odd that they don't have a Festival Orchestra anymore. I could have sworn they had one, and played with the Festival Choir at Disney hall. As it stands, the choir still looks like it is singing at Disney Hall, but the orchestras are not.

5. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I am almost positive the cut all the programs at disney hall last year due to budget cuts.

6. I could have sworn they performed Carmina Burana last year there?

It seems as if they have the same concert schedule as last year, but it sure would be a shame if they really did cut it out. It was a great opportunity for the kids.

7. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Last year was the last time they did that, and they did play Carmina Burana and Mahler 1, I believe.

Now there's no longer a walt disney concert, and they cut all the college programs, and instead replaced it with high school-age programs.

8. Cassadie

Cassadie

Sep 4, 2008
    I'm playing in the symphony orchestra this summer!!! I honestly could not find very much information but I auditioned anyway... Is anyone else here going to be there?

9. irbassist

irbassist

Jun 17, 2009
    Im going!!

10. I will be in the Festival Choir this year! August 8-21

Will you guys be there during the same period?

11. Cassadie

Cassadie

Sep 4, 2008
    Our last concert is the 7th.

12. Cassadie

Cassadie

Sep 4, 2008
    Shoot is chamber really more advanced? They offered me a spot in it and I told them I would stick with Symphony :( I didn't know. Oh well, next year.

13. Peter Askim

Peter Askim

Apr 27, 2008
    Hi to all who posted to this thread!

I'm Peter Askim, bassist/composer and Music Director of the Idyllwild Arts Academy. Although the summer program just finished up, I just spoke with our Admissions Department, and the Idyllwild Arts Academy is still accepting applications for the 2010-11 Academic Year (this semester!) It's a GREAT place to be a high school bass player. I'm a bass player, our teachers are Chris Hanulik (Principal, L.A. Phil) and Jeremy Kurtz (Principal, San Diego) and our alums have gone on to great teachers (and great scholarships!) at Colburn and New England Conservatory, among others.

Scholarship money is STILL available. Contact me right away if you're interested:
    peter@peteraskim.com