1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about overdrive pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Perroid, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

I finally got the money to buy an overdrive pedal but I don't know which one to buy.
    Some of you may say "try before you buy" but that really isn't an option because there aren't many music stores around and they certainly don't have a lot of "bass pedals".
    I have 2 basses, both passive. A Mexican Fender Jazz and an American Precision.

The price isn't really an option. But it won't hurt if I save some cash if I go used.

The sound that I'm looking for right now is a really nice "throaty" overdrive. A bit like an old V8 engine, a guttural sound. At this point I'm not really looking for a fuzz pedal. But it won't hurt if the pedal can do a nice distortion as well.

I live in the Netherlands and English is not my native language but I hope you guys got the message.

Anyway, thank you for your time and I hope this will help me find my overdrive.

2. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    With those basses the Tech21 VT would rock the house.

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    DarkGlass B3K.

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    throaty overdrive sounds like Rat Tail by fuzzrocious

5. Both the Darkglass B3K and the Tech21 VT Bass sound nice. I think they will give me the sound I'm looking for. I couldn't find good vids regarding the Rat Tail though.

I'm assuming you guys own the pedals you're recommending? How are you using it?

Thanks so far!

6. bobbertdole

bobbertdole

Jul 13, 2012
    I have owned a EHX USA big muff pi for a few years and several months ago bought the Ibanez TS9B. The TS9B overcompensates for the bass suck problem found in most bass overdrives.It has a bass and treble knob but turning either adds or removes too much. The big muff pi never sounds bad. EVER. Its not technically overdrive but you can still get the overdriven sound, but the big muff is not very subtle. Still one of my favorite pedals and i will never get rid of it.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio