1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Peavey cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucretius, Jan 3, 2007.

1. lucretius

lucretius

Apr 7, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Hey guys, I just picked up a Peavey Nitrobass head along with a Peavey 4X12 bass cabinet last week. Its an awesome stack but a little heavy if i must say. I was wondering if Peavey ever made an 18" cabinet as I may consider trying to track one down if they did.
    Thanks for the help,
    John.

2. I know they made a 1-18 for PA. Not sure about a bass cab though, you should be able to use a PA sub. BTW, how do you like that head? I think a lot of people are rediscovering Peavey lately including myself. That head feels like a couple of cinder blocks cemented solid together with a 20 pound weight inside for good measure.

3. lucretius

lucretius

Apr 7, 2006
    Milwaukee
    The head is working great for me. I've always thought of Peavey as a quality brand but I was actually looking for something along the lines of a Carvin. When I found the Nitrobass head with a 4X12 cab, I had to have it. The 4X12 just kicks so much @$$. Yea its pretty damn heavy, so is the cabinet. The cab is a 2 person job actually when you cant roll it.
    Thanks for the input.

4. lucretius

lucretius

Apr 7, 2006
    Milwaukee
    There should be an attachment with a picture of the head, the amp, and my bass simply for viewing pleasure.

Attached Files:

5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Peavey has used 18s a lot. Besides PA cabs like the SP118...

There's the 118 Sub 8, which was advertised as "...an add-on, utility sub for drum monitoring, keyboards, etc..." This was made around 1989.

After that, there was the 118 Sub HC, which was an updated version of the Sub 8.

There was also the 1820, which is an 18 with 2-10s. This was a bass guitar-specific cabinet, and just like the 1516(more popular 15 w/2-8s), loved to be bi-amped.

I'm sure there were others, but those are the only ones I could think of.

6. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Before the 1820, there was the 1810. Same driver compliment, smaller box. I prefered the 1810 for some reason. I also biamped it "oddly". I ran the 2x10 section full range, and the 18" as a sub. Stole that idea from a marshall bass head that could do that.....

7. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    Your place looks something like mine - instruments, cables, gear, cabinets, stuff just everywhere. Fun, isn't it?

8. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    I used to have that 412, 148 lbs of pure back killing joy. It sounds awsome, but if you have to load it into you car by yourself have fun. Thats the main reason I sold mine. Now I have a ampeg 410 which still sounds good to me but is no were near as heavy. And I am still looking for an old 1810 sold mine and have missed it since.

9. I have some Peavey catalogues from the early '90s that show a 1x18 for bass, although it's pretty much the way BbbyBld stated. They were usually cross-referenced for PA work. Check out www.daddys.com for all kinds of used Peavey stuff. They're about to get back into selling and shipping used gear (anybody remember "Used Gear By Mail" catalogues -- ugbm.com?). They're in the Northeast, and they have an awesome amount of stuff.

Anyone ever play through the 3620? A double 18" version of the 1820, but kind of shallow front to back. Jeesh, what an idea! Gotta love Peavey for those classic designs. I've had my share over the years.

10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I bought a Centurion head and a Black Widow equipped 1-18" cab new in '80 for $600. The cab had a good sound, but not enough punch & presence used alone. I sold it and found a good deal on a (tolex) Kustom cab with 2-15" EV SRO's which was better for me as a stand-alone.

Ken

11. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    I believe that cabinet was the logically-named 118BW. I was in a band with a guy who had one, also in the early 80s. It had huge bottom end but it was not that good as a full-range cabinet. However, I could see it making a good complement to a cab with 10s or 12s.

How often can that be said of an Ampeg 410? :p

12. yeah, i have a peavey 1x18, it is the peavey 1x18 black widow equipped cabinet.

its a monster, built like a ****ing tank...

x

13. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Peavey had an 18" in a folded horn config. I think the speaker face up and tp the back. I used one a binch in gyms and lunchrooms for High School gigs. It was a brute to move almost cube shaped.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.