Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about QSC amp..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Redleader79, Feb 11, 2004.

1. I just got a brand new QSC PLX 1602 and it looks really nice. When I turned the amp on (without any kind of load on it) the fan runs. It's not just totally load, but it can be heard from several feet away. Is this normal?

2. Yesh, that's normal. My 3402 fan took some time to get used to. When you're playing through speakers, even at low volume, the fan noise is lost.

I think it's because the fan fires out the front of the amp, and most bassists are used to fans on the side or blowing out the back, where the sound is redirected.

Mounted in a rack, the cooling system is very efficient.

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    RTFM

Page 19, "Fan Cooling"

4. Thanks for the input guys! I did read the manual about the fan, I just wasn't sure if the fan ran loud (which Mo'Phat explained) and if it constantly ran even without any signal going to it. I have had an Eden WT-400 for years and I'm used to the fan kicking in and out as needed. I'm going to give the QSC a test run tonight when I play!

5. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    That's why I got a Samson Servo 550 - no fan. It's really a studio amp, but has a massive heat sink on the rear. Yep, a bit heavy, but not too much. I don't know how it would hold up under direct sun or in a poorly ventilated room.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh,

if that fan ever stops running when it's fired up, hit the kill switch pronto.

7. I got a chance to use it tonight and you couldn't hear it at all through the normal crowd noise. It worked really well and had a very clean sound without being pushed hard. It's perfect!!! :D