1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about your bypass loopers on FX boards

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by OrangeSun, Mar 29, 2009.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Hey man, I've noticed that you are always using those long skinny bypass loop things. Are those custom built, and are they true bypass or buffered? Also, are you running your bass into a preamp of some kind before it hits the board?

I ask because I've had some issues with my moogerfooger low pass filter, which i've noticed you had. I found it works better with a hotter signal, but i also found that it made a nasty click when I had it in a true bypass loop in the past when I brought it in. It seems the whole true bypass thing is a mixed blessing.

I am planning on getting myself a radial bassbone to balance my active and passive basses and get the signal level nice and hot for my effects. Im also looking into buying a simple little bypass looper, like one of yours but only with two loops.

Any insight on how you get the best out of your pedals while not sacrificing strength of signal/using those bypass loops/any other info would be greatly appreaciated, thanks!

Any insight into how to get a setup like yours running optimally

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Mine are true bypass, and they SOMETIMES make a small pop when switching things on and off. They are made by pedalboards.com I'm pretty sure. Nice devices. Usually totally silent, though. I don't really know anything about how to get rid of the pop though; sounds like you have a potentially smart solution using the bassbone, though.

It never seems to matter that much when I'm recording; things work pretty well.

Best,
    JMJ