1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for Innovation Super Silver Users???

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Loosebrace, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Loosebrace

Loosebrace

Jan 1, 2012
    Hey folks,

I'll cut to the chase, after much reading Innovation Super Silvers seem like the strings I'm looking for.....but I'm concerned they won't have the tension or volume I want.

I tried a set of weedwacker pros, they don't work me, way to loose.

I'm asking if Super Silvers feel like Weedwackers or should I chuck it all and just get some Spirocores?

Thanks

2. I never used Super Silvers, but have Innovation 140B on my bass which, based on what I read, should have a bit more tension than the super silvers. They also have the braided core but wound with chromesteel. They were made for bowing, but I like G and D for pizzicato too. I replaced the E and A with Spirocore Weich S42W which fit nicely tensionwise and have more sustain than the low 140B strings.
    The S42W strings have a bit less tension than the 3885,0W strings but are also a bit longer.
    Volume on the 140B is OK, could be played with power, just a little bit less than the Spirocore S42W but hardly noticable.

Bowing is a bit different on both kind of strings but not too much.

3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    If Super Silvers sound like your ticket, give them a shot. They are great strings, nothing like weedwackers. Plenty of tension and volume. Make sure the bridge and nut slots are large enough that the strings don't bind. As I recall, Super Silvers are larger than average diameter.

4. Loosebrace

Loosebrace

Jan 1, 2012
    Thanks y'all,

Got a set on order, I will report back after playin them for a bit.

5. Darrenmcbass

Darrenmcbass

May 17, 2005
    What's the update?!? I ordered mine last night after hearing them at a gig. Sounded massive!!

6. Used them for little over a year! Tension extremely uneven across all four strings but the E & A are IMO THE best matching strings to guts! I use Spiro's but with gut since I sold that bass but previously tried Garbos, Animas, Evah, Obligato's and by far the cheapo Super Silvers are the BEST with Gamuts (IMO) Let us know how you going with them!

7. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

It all depends on your bass and the sound that you want. I primarily play jazz and swing, and the vast majority of my playing is pizzicato.
    For many years I used Thomastik-Infeld Wien (soft) on my 4/4 Juzek (5 string). I loved the sound, but began hunting around for a substitute, because of the price. I put a set of the Eudoxas on my bass and hated them! I even tried the D’Addario Heilicore, but also hated the sound. I gave both of these sets to a couple of other cats here in town, and they loved them! I guess it is different strokes for different folks!
    Anyway, after trying several different brands of strings I settled on the Innovation 140H and actually like that sound better than the Thomastik (and, I could actually get a set with a matching "B"). And, they are less expensive!
    As I moved to a smaller bass (I downsized to a 7/8 size 5 string!) I continued to use the Innovation 140H. These strings have been on my working bass for over two years and still sound great. (I have noticed that need to touch up my tuning more than I used to, but the great sound and growl is still there.) (and very uniform!)
    However, I just ordered a new set and will probably change them next week.
    Again, it all depends on you ax and your ear. Different strokes for different folks!

8. Loosebrace

Loosebrace

Jan 1, 2012
    Update....

I like em, nice tension, warm sound. I mainly play Bluegrass, Motown, and 50's rockabillyish stuff. I did try Spirocores for a day or so, but went back to the Innovations for the feel and tone, but I'd say I got about 30% more volume from the Spirocores.

9. Darrenmcbass

Darrenmcbass

May 17, 2005
    Mine arrived today, they are big boys. Looking forward to this experiment

10. Darrenmcbass

Darrenmcbass

May 17, 2005
    Ah, I'm a bit worried now. How are they going to sound with my realist?

11. I would say your bass should sound good acoustically and then you need a pickup that get the best sound out of it. Tricky with the dark Evahs with a Realist on a lot of basses, but the Innovations shouldn't be worse than your Weedwhackers and at least a bit brighter than Evahs. So if the strings don't sound well amplified, think of getting a different pickup (a Full Circle might be a bit brighter).
    If you want to pay a bit more for strings, Compas 180 strings are loud (acoustically) and probably bright enough for your Realist. (Four sets and you can buy another pickup from the price difference. So think about that.)

12. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have a question about the silver slaps (sorry if this thread is old) I am very interested in them being a jazz player but I wanted to see how well they bow. If they bow just as well as spiros then that would be great. I am just starting classical lessons so I dont want to switch to a string that is crappy for bowing. Thanks.

13. Can't comment on whackers but I've used Super Silvers and they are much lower tension than spiros and I haven't had any problems with volume. They amplify fine.
    They are not going to give a complex/woody sound but do give a fat solid tone. They are a very practical, easy string for pizz gigs. Not good for arco..

14. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    So I got the super silvers and have had about 3 months with them. So far I like them. They give that thumpy "gut" sounds that I hear in my head (disclaimer: I've never tried guts, but they are closer to that PC sound than the spirocores I had before). They bow like crap coming from any steel string haha but it can be done. My trick is very little rosin, light touch and very good technique, and still there's that little scratchyness (like the PC arco sound). They wouldn't do good in any type of orchestra/solo setting but for me who just wants to learn enough arco for etudes/the ocasional jazz solo they do fine. on my bass (that could use a set up) they are about the same tension as the spiros but I have them about 3 mm higher than the spiros.