1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for Markbass experts...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basskopf, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Guys,

I currently have a Jeff Berlin 151P combo. I need a second amp for my band's practice room, the first one will stay at home. I decided to buy the 104HR cabinet as a standalone :)hyper:).

The head on the combo I believe is identical to the Little Mark II. The faceplate looks a bit different but all the controls are the same. If you unscrew the four allen screws holding in the combo head and remove the unit, the only thing that is missing is the top plate. Even the screwholes for the top plate are present.

The idea of course is that I use the combo head both for the 151P and for the 104HR. I will manufacture the top plate with a friend and screw it in place.

My question: have any of you done this before? Does anyone have reservations? Other than the obvious (e.g. don't stick your fingers into the open combo head if the mains are connected!), is there anything preventing me from doing this? Any advice on my little scheme?

I think Markbass frowns on it, but technically again I see no reason not to do this as I believe the combo head and standalone Little Mark II are precisely the same unit.

Thanks for any inputs.

Der Basskopf

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I doubt you'd have any problems but cant say 100% for sure.

If I were you, I'd put it in a 2u rack. That way you'd save the hassle of having to bother with the cover, plus it would be totally protected.

I say go for it.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would have done it if I could have gotten it out of my 121P combo. And yes, it is the LMII in all their combos.

4. i did this with a GK backline 112. no problems.

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Markbass will probably sell you the plate and the rackears...

6. Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Wes, I don't think they will sell me the plate, I got one e-mail from someone there where they discourage this type of thing.... of course they would prefer to sell another head! Also appreciate the tip on the 2U rack... assume this is the brand name?

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    "assume this is the brand name?"

No, thats the size. Check out Gator or SKB etc.

I quite like my Gator rack bag pictured here:

bassrig66.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    2U refers to the height of the rack case. There's loads of different manufacturers. Let us know how this goes.

OOPS - beaten to the punch.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope, size of the rack...2 rack spaces. I've heard of folks making lids for the amp that screw onto the chassis like the normal lid. It's not hard, but it does void the warranty. The rack is probably a good idea, but that does kind of defeat the purpose of a 6 lb head. You can buy rack ears for them, so it would probably be the best bet. Removing the head might also void the warranty as well, but you stand less of a chance getting caught, unless you talk about it on Talkbass ;)

Love their combos but that is a bummer you can't remove the head and use it as it is.

10. Jimmy, yes, they indicated to me that it would void the warranty. But I trust their quality, so it's not going to break and I am going to be careful with it. Got it on the 2U rack, Bassist, thanks for the pic ....agree with Jimmy that this would defeat the purpose of a light, portable head which is what I am after.... Thanks again.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    As a side note, Torin, that wood pickguard is to die for! That looks awesome on that bass.