Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Michael Manring

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Dear Mr. Manring,
    First off, you're new solo album is fantastic! You're best work yet.
    Now, I'm getting a fretless sometime soon. And I would like to know what exsercises you did to get better at the fretless. What would you recommend me doing?
    Thanks,
    Jonathan Sacci

2. p.o.d.

p.o.d.

Jul 19, 2005
    I know. great bassman many qeustins but let me ask too plz.
    I've got video when you played with Andy Gonzalez, Francis Rocco Prestia & Victor wooten.
    "sugar" was played verrrrrrrrrrrrrry good.
    I am crazy for this slap sound. haw can I get sound like this.
    (with only finger picking get exelent slap sound)

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, guys. Jonathan, the big trick with fretless is intonation and I recommend always practicing with some kind of intonation reference. If you don’t have one already, please buy a good digital tuner and plan on having it in line anytime you’re playing the fretless. Also, find a way to make in-tune recordings to practice along with -- drones, scales, arpeggios, chord sequences, bass lines -- anything you can think of! My favorite tool for this kind of thing is a looper because they’re quick, easy and efficient.

p.o.d., I suppose my slap sound comes from a combination of my Zon bass and my particular way of striking the strings. In general don’t slap too hard and I use lots of little ghost notes with both the right and left hand.

4. p.o.d.

p.o.d.

Jul 19, 2005
    thanks mike but I saw that when you took hammer & tap
    & 2 hand tap it was the same sound as slap.
    yo you know what. It steal a best sound for me.
    I will be verrrrrrrrrrry happy if I have a sound like this.

5. p.o.d.

p.o.d.

Jul 19, 2005
    I like song "sugar" that you played michael.
    can I get a tab or notes anywhere.

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I do try to maintain a pretty consistent tone through the different techniques, pod, so I'm glad to know that comes across. I don't have any real secrets for this - just focus on getting the kind of sound you want no matter what technique you're using.

I'm sorry to say I don't have a transcription of “Sugar.” Hmmm… getting a lot of requests for that these days!

7. p.o.d.

p.o.d.

Jul 19, 2005
    O.K. man no problems.

maybe i'll find this song somewhere.
    O.K. but every bass players marcus miller, you,
    one bass player in georgia too, you all have this nice
    sound.
    is this depends on guitar.
    I really do not have a good guitar but it's 2 month that I've
    got bass processor digitech bp 200 and now I've got
    many nice sounds but I allways trying to get your sound