Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for RevGroove

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboysam, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Being the Yorkville expert around here i have a question for you. I recently bought the YBA200 along with an XC410 and i am loving it. However thinking a bit further down the road, and a few more paychecks, I would like to add another cab either 1x15, 2x12 or another 4x10. Currently yorkville does not have a 2x12 but i was looking at the xc115 and i was wondering since its tuned to a higher frequency response (alot of 1x15 are these days) than the xc410 (50hz vs 40 Hz) would it actually add anymore bottom end to my rig? Or should i just go with another 4x10?

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I think that's a matter of taste, my friend.

Are you running the head with the switch at 8 ohms or 4 ohms? With the XC410 by itself, I'd run it at 8 ohms.

Now, adding a 1x15 is the "normal" course of action. I'm personally down on 15" speakers, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking to add an XC210 and run the amp at 4 ohms, so essentially you'd have a 6x10 set up. I love tens...but I love eights even more! The XC808 sounds AMAZING with this head...but you'd not be able to add any cabs.

I'm thinking that the XC115 would add some midrange bite to your set up though, so that's a way to go... Is there any way for you to try out different setups? See, which way you go, is going to depend on your ear and what you want your sound/tone to be. I'm no engineer, so I can't get into the physics of it.

HTML:
    Being the Yorkville expert around here i have a question for you.
    hmmm... well, I guess I am sorta with Yorkville...unofficially...

I'm no "expert" though, sorry if I come across like one. I hack at set ups, that's about it. I like Yorkville gear, and aside from the fact that I work for the family that owns the company, I want to support and encourage Canadian manufacturers and distributors and their product as much as possible. No company is perfect...but L&M and Yorkville are pretty durn close!!! :D

3. Whatever happened to the Yorkville 2x12? I heard somewhere that they had a prototype for one. Do you know anything about that?

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    There are lots of different design ideas floating around and different prototypes being tested in various places. Time will tell! There is a prototype of the 2x12 that I like a lot, the design is still being tweaked, but I'm not sure what the production plans are if there are any. Did you vote in the 12" speaker poll? Do a search, find the thread, and cast your vote!!!