Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question + Nice pic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by semborg, May 5, 2005.

1. Okay, so many want old basses, from the 70s and 60s.

So I was wondering if my basses will become very attractive in 15- 20 years.

Does the wood change when it gets old?
    Tone?

Heres the pic :cool:

[​IMG]

2. My friend told me that the wood can be better when its old, and it could become bad too. True?

3. If it warps or cracks then its not soo good.

I think most older basses were made of higher quality tone woods, which can't be used as widely anymore so most basses won't mature aswell becasue the don't have the same kinda starting point but am sure i will be corrected.

4. So you know what type of finish is on your Cirrus? That can make a difference. Oil/varnish finishes will allow the woods to breathe as soon as 6 months and the tone can "opeb" up where laquer and urethane finishes can take longer but will protect the wood better from water and humidity and all of the other things that can happen to an instrument. I agree that the wood needs to be a quality piece first but I am no expert. Most woods used for good instruments have been dried and given time to show any internal stresses so I would say that you should be fine. Just take care of it.

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

that's a very attractive bass RIGHT NOW !!
    the value should go up with time , but if i owned that bass , i wouldn't be too concerned about future prices ... jmo.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    A lot of Peavey finishes are hit or miss with me. I'm DEFINETLY digging that one. That fretboard is sharp.

Do some searches for body and fretboard care. Some oil and care will need to be applied over the years, most likely.

-Eric.

7. I want it, I did it on peaveys custom shop.
    I WANT THAT BASS.
    Okay all TBERS give me some money, all of you, and I can afford that bass :cool:

I promise I will review it :smug: