1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question - NYC in August

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by jallenbass, Jun 17, 2007.

1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Here's the question for all you New Yorkers:

My family and I are planning a trip to New York City in August. My father-in-law, who frequently visits Manhatten, says that "New York is closed in August". He says that there are museums to go to but no shows and such. I think he's not exactly correct but I haven't been there in for quite a while. Who's right? Thanks.

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    I'm not a New Yorker (yet) but I've spent the odd day there touring over the years and I'm sure you'll find plenty to do any time you go. I heard Cedar Walton at the Village Vanguard on Christmas eve a couple of years ago...try and go to a club on Christmas eve anywhere else. I have friends I know for sure are working on Broadway shows through August too so if that's what you meant by "shows" there will without a doubt be some to go to.

It's a great city, have fun!
    jeff

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, it's more a question of degree. There's a lot happening in Europe, Japan etc. so there ARE a lotta cats that are not in town. But compared to Augusta GA (where I moved here from) there's a LOT going on.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've been there in August.... I stayed plenty busy. NY doesn't close for nuthin'.

5. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    he's wrong... the shows go on... but it's damn hot and sticky!

6. Yes it's always happening in NYC. It's just really sticky and stinky in August. :D

7. i'll be moving to New York in late August! anyone want to hang out and play? i'll be in the harlem/morningside heights area

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021