Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by salvagedbass, Sep 23, 2003.

1. I got a question on amps. I've been listening to Iron Maiden a lot lately and I absolutely love Steve Harris' tone. I know he plays through a Marshall head and cabs. The guitarist in my band suggested I play with an A/B box...one signal going to my Ampeg SVT3-Pro Head with a 4x10 cab(for lows), and the other going to his JCM 2000 DSL head with a vintage 4x12 cab(mids & highs). I did it and it sounded AWESOME!:bassist: So my question is: Is it bad to run a bass signal through a guitar amp? I am only using it for mids and highs, not lows. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to buy a good Marshall head and end up frying it out.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well ya wont hurt the head
    what you might hurt are the guitar speakers
    i would do some serious low end rolloff, maybe even use a crossover

3. even if the signal is coming straight from an A/B switch box?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well it depends on how abused the guitar speakers are getting. speakers made for guitar usually cant handle the bass well
    fwiw, bagend makes 12's which sound damn good with guitar or bass, but i'm talking about their regular 12, not the one specifically for guitar
    i did use my bagend 12 with a signal from a 100 watt marshal plexi head and that sounded pretty neat

5. thanks for your help! i'll definetly take a look into the bagend speakers!