Question on cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpark, Mar 17, 2006.

1. jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    I currently own an ampeg 1510he rated at 175watts rms @ 8 ohms. I'm wanting to get a 210 cabinet to compliment it. The matching ampeg 210he cabs are rated at 250watts rms @ 8 ohms. I'm getting a kustom groovebass which is 800watts at 4 ohms.

My question is, will the head be too much for the cabs at high volumes?
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Maybe, but it doesn't have to be. You can probably turn up the amp in such a way as to fry a speaker, but you don't have to.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    4 string, 5 string, more, less? Standard tuning, detuned? Effects? Tonal preference? Style of music? What are you competing against?

Help us help you!
  4. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    It can be if you make it. As long as you keep the volume on the head to a reasonable level they wont be blown, the problem is, if you don't know that level and turn up TOO loud then yes you can blow the speakers. I'd be most worried about the 1510he...

However, it is good to have some headroom to spare, you won't have to worry about clipping. What kind of music are you playing with?
  5. jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    I play a 4 string tuned down a half step. I like a good solid warm tone with a little punch, nice lows. Music is straight up rock, can't really think a better way to explain it, haha. We're a three piece, so 1 guitar and drums. Guitar player plays through a half stack.
  6. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I would be careful if you are planning on running the amp at 11, you will definitely have plenty of headroom though.
  7. s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might straight smash that poor little 15". Those stock Ampegs are pretty weak. Nice tone though. I'm looking to replace one right now. Hit me up in about a week if you destroy that thing and want a stock replacement.