Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on gigging in Japan.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lennyonbass, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Heys guys,
    I am presented with an opportunity to do a stint in Japan and am very excited about it. If it actually happens, this will be my first gig outside the US. :D

Here's the question: :help:
    What preparations should be made on my end so that things go smoothly with travel, or what should I do so there are instruments waiting on the other end (be they mine or rented), or are there any kind of power concerns I need to deal with (I do not know if Japan is 110V/60Hz or 220V/60Hz or 110V/50Hz or whatever...)? :confused:

OK, so that was more than one question....
    As you might have realized, I could use some advice.

I look forward to any advice that you folks might offer me.
    Thanks in advance,

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I would contact whomever will be managing the trip and rent equipment. I did this about 8 years ago and it worked out fine. Tons of options in Japan for great gear at good prices. You don't want to have to buy adapters and stuff it's a pain in the arse.

3. Thanks firkin. I will check out that as this thing solidifies more.
    If I do go, though, it will be for an extended period and I was thinking that it might be nice to have some of my own gear there.
    Thoughts on this?
    Thanks for the assistance!

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I'd get something there like a combo or something that won't cost an arm and a leg to ship back. Or, if your going to be there for a decent amount of time. Before you leave sell what you buy. A little loss but at least you'll be more comfortable whiile your there.

5. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Never been as far a japan for a gig but just my MO if I was going to bring my own stuff I'd shell out the extra money and buy insurance for my gear for whatever I take so atleast if something happens you will get something back and this maybe cheaper alternative to renting depening on how long you will be in japan for.

6. Obvious one, but make sure your passport is up-to-date. And I agree with Firkin...rent what you can. That leaves you less to carry. If you do take your own. make sure you pack it properly...don't want some customs guy going all "Pete Townsend" with your bass on the tarmac now would ya? And most of all if you do go, enjoy the trip! Good luck.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey i have a place you should start first! I have used them alot for rental! The only problem is if you use there gear you will have to go home and buy some!lol Its Awsome! But they might have somthing for ya in japan! Also they r very easy to work with! very helpfull!
    http://www.meyersound.com/

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
  9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    You'll want to take your own bass...one preferably. what kind of group is it ? are the promoters handling the backline or is the band responsible ?

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    when i was out there, we used provided backline....

actually the most i rememberd was being amazed with the vending machines that sold BEER!!!

:D

11. Guys,
    I am so sorry for not replying sooner. I am subscribed to the thread but haven't rec'd any emails until now that there have been replies. Ugh.

Thanks for the input so far. I really appreciate it.
    Here is what I *do* know:
    The gig is at the Disneyworld in Tokyo. (5)-1/2 hour shows a day, 6 days/wk. The repertoire is 50's rock.

That's about it...
    I don't have any information regarding backline.

Don, it is my preference to take my 4 and my 6 with me.
    (For those who don't know me, my 4 is a jazz style, suitable aesthetically and practically to the gig. My 6 is not suitable aesthetically to the gig, but I am hoping to record for my project while I am there in addition to booking on the side gigs.)
    I am still waiting on the contract.
    I am told by my contact that the gig is 85% certain...FWIW... I want to have my "ducks in a row" when it happens.
    Eric, thanks for the rental links. I will start researching those.
    Firkin, I like the idea of buying a rig there and then selling it off. That has a nice aroma of convenience.
    TDK, all of my gear is insured, thanks!
    Mark, I am currently in the process of applying for a passport.

Again, thanks guys. I appreciate the additional input!

12. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Lenny, Greetings from Tokyo! I hope you find more info from your contact concerning your gig at Tokyo DisneyLand. General gigging in Tokyo involves bringing your ax and effects, amps are already there. If your gig is inside DisneyLand, I would think they have everything already set-up as far as sound goes... it is not like playing in a bar! You need to get the facts!

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Flight Case. IF yo udo not have one you can borrow mine. IT will take two basses and we can move the foam around to fit your Foderas...OF course they fit Smiths right now...