1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on preamps amd DIs

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Accostingwalrus, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I think this is the best place to post this thread, hopefully
    For me, this topic confuses the hell out of me. I have done some research, but I dont know what im doing. So I have a Markbass combo CMD1020p. It has a built in DI with the XLR out and it has a gain control and line out knob. Im wondering if I should buy a preamp/DI box because Ive heard that sound guys get sketched out wiith built-in preamps and DIs. My bass is passive and i run it thru a few fx pedals then into the combo amp.

☮<3

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    When you start gigging with your new Markbass, you may find that some sound guys will prefer the XLR out of your amp, while others might have their own DI that they prefer you to use, and still others will prefer to mic the speaker in your combo amp. I've been playing over 30 years and never needed to bring my own DI to a gig; I just plug in where they tell me to.

s0c9, Wasnex and RickyT like this.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Use the DI from your amp. If a soundguy happens to have specific taste regarding DIs he will provide you one.

4. Thanks for the replies! Ive never gigged in a club yet so this was really helpful.
    Bless <3