1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question to Ibanez Sr300e owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KubaC, Jan 2, 2018.

1. KubaC

KubaC

Jan 2, 2018
    Hi guys,

Few days ago I bought a bass as in the title and I have a concern about a alighment/spacing/distance from string to the edge of fingerboard. I don't know how to call it. As you can see on the pics. The distance from E string and fretboard edge is much bigger than the same of G string. Looks weird for me as a newbie. Never played bass. Guitar only. And the fretboard edge at last four frets of G string isn't that edgy like along the neck. Looks and feels like a little rounded, so it's a bit narrower and the frets are just shorter in that case. Just a bit, but...
    Is that common in that bass model? Do you have the same spacing/finishing in yours? Is it something to be afraid of?

Thanks for replies.
    View attachment 2862169
    View attachment 2862170
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Don't see any pics in the thread, maybe try re-attaching? Bolt-on necks necks sometimes have a tiny bit of play, try loosening the neck bolts and see if gently pulling the headstock end left or right evens out the spacing from string to fingerboard edge. If it works, tighten the bolts and Bob's Your Uncle.

3. KubaC

KubaC

Jan 2, 2018
    Sorry, I had to switch to my pc, couldn't add pics from my phone. And then I had to edit several times...
    I tried that method, it doesn't work, neck sits perfectly in the pocket.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Here's mine. It's also a little off centre, but I would say that's normal due to the E-string vibrating more and thus needing more space. My two cents, anyway.

If you're not happy with it, then return it and get another one. IMO they're great basses, and I love mine dearly.

IMG_4246.

KubaC likes this.
  5. bonedaddio

bonedaddio

Mar 12, 2013
    Nice Wookie, Dude! (Always wanted to say that ). I think Linus is 100% correct, it’s engineered in. The higher tension and smaller dia. of the G string should keep it “on board”, as it were.
    I just got a new SR300E, and mine is setup similarly, only it’s a smidge less offset.
    That’s one of those “your call”, return or not, things. I also noticed you can get some of that offset back moving the G string bridge saddle in a bit.
    I’m keeping mine, I love it, it’s a totally amaaaazing bass for the money (DAAAAMNNN!!!) and got such a deal from GC. It arrived yesterday and needs a little minor setup attention, and already plays wonderfully.

6. KubaC

KubaC

Jan 2, 2018
    It's been a long time... sorry I didn't answer earlier. Thank you for your replies guys, especially you LinusKarlsson. Now I'm back with a new rig. It's still Ibanez... Sr300 from 2014 this time. And I got Ampeg 108v2 combo also. I made a sweet deal, bass and amp, both in brand new condition for half of the price... I'm very happy with them. I love the color much more than my last Iron Pewter. The amp sounds amazingly for the money for me.
    P_20180215_000632_vHDR_Auto.

It's interesting that older models have different neck aligment that the newer ones. My buddy bought sr400 from 2011 lastly and it has the same more center look like mine. All newer 300s look like my last sr300e and your Linus. Maybe same changes in contruction over the years?

LinusKarlsson likes this.