Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about upcoming gig.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jiant., Aug 30, 2004.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    My band is going to be playing our biggest gig to date on Oct. 9th at a local church. When I was talking to the sound guy tonight to confirm the date, he told me to call him back to let him know how many mics and stuff we would need. I know about all that stuff, but he also asked if we would want any direct boxes, I assume this is for running insturments through the PA, I don't really know how big the room is, I'm going to try to check it out and drop off som flyers this weekend, but my question is this: I was planning on getting a 8 ohm 4x10 cab to run with my 2x10 now and I would be using these with my Behringer 300w head. So, do you think I should still go this route and not use the PA? Or skip the cab and go through the DI on my head? Thanks for advice. -Brad

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Your current 2x10 is 8 ohms, right? If you were planning on getting the 4x10 anyway, then go ahead and bring it -- if the room is big enough, you'll still use the DI. If you're getting it only for this gig, save your money and take your time finding a cab you really want, the DI should work fine. Whenever there is an engineer it is best to run through the PA because he is out in the room and can hear the mix the audience hears so he needs to be in control. I hope he's a good engineer . . . :)

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Use the P.A. There's no need for you to be extremely loud on stage (espescially in a church) unless there was NO P.A. Bring a small rig just to monitor yourself.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the dirct box will let the bass go into the pa, and you still will hear the cab on stage. i would just get a kick drum mic and have him mic your cabinet, itll sound a lot better.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I disagree, go with the Direct box, I use one and I have a really good amp setup. I've done the mic'ing of the cab and the DI route, DI sounds much better through the PA.

Although, I run through my processors first then split at the DI to the amp and PA

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    What Ive usually done for church gigs of any kind is use my rig for my personal stage moniter and a D.I. to the board.

You wont be very loud (at least you shouldnt be) so the 2x10 will cut it fine as your stage monitor, then use the box to go into the board and let the soundman mix you from there.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    In my opinion it depends on the quality of the DI on a Behrenger head. Behrenger stuff is hit and miss, I am not sure about the bass heads they have. If the DI isn't very good I would mic your cab. IF the DI is good I would use the churches PA since after all you are in a church not gigging with a rock band. IF the church has a DI I would use that over the Behrenger DI.

8. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well, actually I will be gigging with my band, and we're melodic rock/ punk lol. The DI is pretty good as far as I can tell, I've never uesd it live, but it's great with recording and such. I think I'll use my 2x10 as my monitor so to speak, and then DI to the board. Thanks. -Brad