Questions for slappers who do it all

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by ERIC A, Dec 17, 2007.

1. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

I am looking for a recommendation for strings that can do it
    all. I do everything from straight ahead jazz gigs to rock-a-
    billy gigs (50% pizz, 40% slap, and 10% arco). I love gut,
    but I would like to experiment with a steel or synthetic
    string that would still be easy to slap. Any suggestions
    would be greatly appreciated.

2. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Eurosonic lights (Bob G has Them) They can be slapped, plucked, stroked, or bowed.

3. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Inno Silver Slaps..Not sure on the bowing though??

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Ha ha ha, I didn't realize pbassfreak is Robin till just now.

A buddy tried his bow out on my Innovation RAB's, and it seemed to work. I really wouldn't know though, never touched a bow. Why would anyone want to bow anyhow?

Of course they slap and pizz fine too.

5. :bag:
    Duck! Flames!

6. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Damn..And here I thought I was being sly...hahahaha

7. I figured it out a couple days ago.

:cool:

8. deadsled

deadsled

Apr 6, 2006
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger, Innovation Strings, Blast Cult Bass
    I HIGHLY recommend the Innovation super slaps...being a full time slapper and walker the silver slaps are the best all around string and a perfect fusion of gut feel and steel sound. Meaning they have great easy slap and tone perfect for pizz. I have tried all kinds of strings and these are the best in my humble opinion.

9. I agree. i have to slap, pizz, bow in blues, buegrass, jazz, folk, country etc. and the silver slaps can hang in all those situations.

10. ackeim

ackeim

Nov 10, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I use the black ones made for upton bass. they bow fine and do the rest the best.
    A

11. deadsled

deadsled

Apr 6, 2006
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger, Innovation Strings, Blast Cult Bass
    The only thing I found with the black rockabilly innovations is the tension is a little high for slapping. I used to use those and endorse them but I have since moved to the silver slaps and reccommend those much more. Although the black rockabilly's are nice they're more suited for pizz in my opinion but you can slap them I just found my hand hurt more after a long set or practice than with the slaps.

12. UBERMUNSCHIST

UBERMUNSCHIST

Mar 1, 2008
    I've seen people slap higher up towards the neck and I've also seen people slap near to where they're plucking.

Which is more correct?

13. Obligato solo set, but in standard tuning

14. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Right now I'm going with Superflexible solos E and A (downtuned to orchestral pitch) and Lenzner guts D and G. They bow well, for my limited arco skills at the moment. Pizz and slap sound great.

Do the Obligato solos roll even more than the standard set? I'd still like to try those out too.

15. both-i think. try both places and you can hear the way each sounds. they are different. i have seen old movies and modern "traditional" players do a circular thing where they pluck or pop at the end of the fingerboard and slap higher up towards the head.

16. I'm an utter novice and these are the only strings I've ever bowed, I have no basis of comparison so I wouldn't really know.

However, my bass sifu has no trouble demonstrating a bowed passage to me and from my own limited knowledge/experience I haven't had a problem with them rolling. My main focus is slappy pizzin around.

17. Ha! Thanks for putting that together for me. Its funny I know I've read some of pbassfreak's other posts here, never made the connection.

I'm very new to doublebass and the only strings I've had have been Roto's, and Silver Slaps. But I have to agree the Silver slaps are great all around strings. They sound great pizz and slapped on my bass, much louder and less twangy than the roto's were.

I've never tried to bow them. Guess I'd need a bow for that...

18. Funny, I've been doing it all for a while with standard, medium tension Superflexibles (not solo). Great feeling strings and the higher tension allows you to play very fast pizz without the slow string response those lower tension and gut strings give you (especially with the E string). Plus there is so much "punch" with a higher tension string that I could never use those floppy things ever. The one time I did play a bass with gut strings (they were plain, no wrap) I kept pulling the E string right out of the bridge and nut, nor could the guts keep up with a 210bpm 16th note groove; I found them to be far too sloppy for any modern playing techniques. I also noticed that when you pluck guts loudly they tend to lose their pitch and go flat. I was told after my set by another bassist that primarily uses guts that I should have tuned the guts a little sharp. :meh: Who wants that? Be a real man and go with medium tension helicores or superflexibles. I used the same set of D'Addario Helicore Hybrids for 8 years and I also thought they were great for doing it all too.

19. rickgdae

rickgdae

Jul 22, 2008
    What about Velvet Garbo's? And is any set of strings worth $260 bucks?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021